At last, i' ve gone to a psychologist

joshueg

At last, i have decided to go to a psychologist. Last friday February 9, i had an appointment and went to my first session of therapy.
It was very hard, because i had never done it before. The psychologist asked me about how i was feeling and the reasons that made me take the decision of going to see a psychologist.
I said i have always suffered from social phobia but i used to control it, but lately, (2 or 3 years ago) it has grown worse and it is really difficult for me to talk with people without feeling i am judged by them.
Then i told him i am working in a tourist office, so i have to deal with people daily and that makes me feel very anxious. Then , i few more questions and that was all!.
It was my first session, i suppose the next one (it will be on next friday 16)
will be more serious. Anyway, the first session was just an introduction, i think next session will be harder too.
But i know i have to keep on going to the sessions and motivate myself in order not to miss any of the sessions.
Well, i ' l tell you more about my session on next weekend.
See you and thanks to everyone.
Sorry if my English is no so correct! :oops: :wink:

mienaino

I went to a psychologist for about a year a few years back... that and just about every drug under the sun (zoloft, remeron, wellbutrin, lexapro, abilify, and god knows what else), but my problems only worsened. I think I came out of it more f*cked up than I went in, but to my sheer amazement something is still ticking upstairs. If I may offer a morsel of advise, don't expect more than what you put in. In terms of effort (and I don't mean just the talking part), the only way to qualitatively change your life is to do it yourself (be it with or without a psychologist's guidance).

And your English is good.

jennn

that's great that you took that step. i was going to a psychologist until recently. it's scary at first to talk about these things with a stranger, but i found that it was extremely helpful to just voice how i was feeling and get it out there. i found myself saying things that i didn't even know i had felt.

it can really give you insight into the causes of your issues - if you have the right psychologist, not one that keeps pushing you to take drugs as the only solution. (unless that happens to be what you need)

i stopped going after a few months, since it became repetitive and i felt i had worked through a lot of things. but everyone is different. i have a friend who has been in therapy for years, and it has become an important part of her support system.

anyway, good luck with it. hope you find it helpful.