Asking for help

hesse

I've decided tonight that I'm going to go and see a psychologist or therapist as soon as I can. I've always avoided this step in the past because I told myself that I could help myself, that life would change in the future, but mostly because I'm terrified that they'll tell me that it I don't have any specific disorder, that that's just the person I am. But it's got too tough recently so I need to try anything.

The thing is, I find it hard to be honest about my condition. I've had bad experiences in the past with people and I know that I won't be able to divulge everything. I can do it here because no-one knows who I am really and I've got the safety net of being able to run away if I get any negativity from people. I was thinking maybe I should just write everything down and then when I go I can just hand over the bit of paper and then that's it done. No more hiding. Is this a good idea? I know it is, but I just have so many trust issues with people. If I get a negative reaction from a trained professional then I'm screwed. I'm also worried that once I take that step that I'll be branded for life. I know these thoughts are irrational but that's how I think.

If anyone could share their experiences with psychologists and tell me what to expect, what questions they ask, how do you get to visit one (I know that normally a doctor refers you but I can't wait a year, it needs to be as soon as possible), does it cost money (in the UK), do you need to do group therapy, basically any info at all, it would be much appreciated. PM me if you don't want to publically comment. Thanks.

Chilling__Echo

i dont know how it works in the UK, but i've seen my share of psychologists, psychiatrists, and counselors. particularly, i like counselors the best because they really help you focus on how to get your life back in order, and see a psych for meds.

whatever it takes for you to get your story across to them, do it. if that means writing it all down first, then that's what you should do. i say you at least get your money's worth and let them help you with all the tools they can use - with you being completely honest. they're not there to judge or backstab you, they're there to help.

also, if you feel uncomfortable there with that particular person, then shop around. it took me a while to find someone i liked. good luck!

Danuk

I think most of the time people with mental conditions seem to think psychiatrists cure you themselfs with is not true and ussualy ends with them quiting due to nothing curing.

Anxiety isnt a dease that goes away everyperson is the world has it we just dont rationalise it right and it will trigger in situations that do not need anxiety. Psyciatrists just help you rationalise and cope with your anxiety it will never go away its just controlling it which takes 100% effort from the person.

I started seeing some pysc's and its not a case of go there they wave a magic wand and your cured , sounds harsh i know but many people think this way myself included before i made the appointments . They set you homework that has to be done daily over a long period and its very hard and takes weeks or even months for you to improve even a bit , its like facing your worst fear every day with no improvement short term.

It's not really bad speaking to psycs you dont sit there and just speak for hours about your story, Its more them asking you questions on the important stuff so they can focus on the cause or way to progress. A little background stuff is all they ask like where u went to school was u happy etc. I was refered by my doctor and it only took 1 month before i saw someone and it was free (this is in UK) on the NHS.

Just dont hold back and give them everything they need to know that can help with your problem , you want the best and fastest possible approach
to getting better right? Just remember they are there to help and are pro's at what they do if you dont give them the infomation they need or hold back there limited to how much they can help you.

hesse

Thanks for the advice! Got a 1 year waiting list on the NHS though to see a pysch, but it'll keep.

Soprano

A 1 year waiting list? Are you serious? I was planning on going to my doctor also, in the hope I can see a therapist, but I don't want to be waiting a year!!! I need it now...