Asking For Help From The Doctor

Soprano

Lately, I've seriously been considering going to my local GP and asking for some kind of anti depressent/help of any kind for these feelings of anxiety/depression I have, which lately have been getting worse...

But how would I go about it? Is there anyone here who can recall their first time experience of going to the doctor and asking for help? How should I put it, how I feel etc...

Any advice?

Soprano

I want my doctor to prescribe me some sort of anti-depressent, I just think I need something to perk me up...

4seasons

My sister went and got perscribed paxel. She had to do therapy though and im not sure if she tried that befor she went to the docter or if the docter got her to try that first...i can ask when she gets home if you want.

rado31

4seasons said:
My sister went and got perscribed paxel. She had to do therapy though and im not sure if she tried that befor she went to the docter or if the docter got her to try that first...i can ask when she gets home if you want.

Paxil without presription would be ideal for me.
Just a thought :?

prince1

If you want medication just ask for it, doctors LOVE giving out medication, its all they know. Just tell your GP your feeling mentally weak and need some sort of enhancement. I was prescribed paxil being offered but found it was too weak so i may ask for something better.

Fidgey

Doctors vary a lot. Just like people some can be great and others just total twats. The thing you have to remember is if it does not work with your first pick keep trying until you find the right one.

With SAD though it is a lot harder as you tend to blame yourself regardless of the Doctors manner.

IceLad

Fidgey said:
Doctors vary a lot. Just like people some can be great and others just total twats. The thing you have to remember is if it does not work with your first pick keep trying until you find the right one.

I agree.

The doctors in my surgery certainly have different approaches. The first one was really understanding and gave me a choice of treatments. The second told me to take things slowly but surely in terms of social activities, and to try and smile more(!) 8O

Quite how smiling can be a treatment for SP is anyone's guess. I guess if you smile, your brain starts to think itself happy, maybe?

Fidgey

SA sure is a tough ilness for GPs to comprehend. It seems to be regonised a lot more but I think there is a lot of work left.
I think that SA used to fall more into the depression category.

eggbe4thechicken

I posted this question a while back too. How on earth does someone with SP go into a GP's room, and one on one, tell them how embarrassed you are talking to them. 8O
WTH?
I don't understand. Maybe someone with less severe SP could, but me, no way. I freak out when I have to have my BP taken, lol. She took my heart rate as well that day, and I swear to you it must have been through the roof! 8O So embarrassing.

Anyone managed it, and would be able to share their experience?

prince1

I managed it very well. I just thought of another excuse to go to the GP which was that i have acne on my shoulder (which really dosent bother me) and made that my main reason for the visit and then just also mentioned my SA and what i could do, he offered me medication.