Art Therapy? my experience so far.

Lamb

It's art based healing mixed with CBT. Today was my first session and I have to say, I think it went well. It's a bit difficult to focus on drawing while talking. I was introduced to mandalas (buddhist, hindu symbol representing wholeness), and was given a journal. I was told to decorate a circle (representing mandalas) with what I imagine when I think of wholeness. I was also asked to draw an image of what I would like to achieve or see myself gaining- a picture perfect world so to speak, once therapy is finished, and making that image the cover of my book.

If I start to get anxious, I can take the time out at home to decorate one of these mandala symbols. Afterwards, I can write in my journal if I want. But it has to stem more from my emotions and not so much my mind, since I tend to overanalyze. This might sound like a load of crap, but I did enjoy it. Don't want to get my hopes up though.

Has anyone tried "art based" therapy before?

ImNotMyIllness

That sounds very cool! Unfortunately, I can't draw. But, I find filmmaking (personal projects) to be a great outlet when I can afford to do it.

WishingICould

I loved art when i was at school but i sort of stopped drawing after i left. Is that type of therapy easy to get?

Lamb

That sounds very cool! Unfortunately, I can't draw. But, I find filmmaking (personal projects) to be a great outlet when I can afford to do it.

Let's do a claymation project, or something like the blair witch project. I've always wanted to try that. :bigsmile:

Last edited:

Lamb

I loved art when i was at school but i sort of stopped drawing after i left. Is that type of therapy easy to get?

I actually just found it randomly, with my insurance covering it. You can try googling art therapy in your area and see what pops up