Army

GIOLANDA

How did you,SA guys deal with the army? Wasn't it difficult with all that anxiety? I wouldn't have had the courage to go there and I'm glad that I'm not a man!

nonick

Army is one of the reasons why i am thinking to never go back to Greece. I just cannot deal with it now. Maybe in a few years if am feeling better but not now. I would kill myself in there.

Predacon

I'm just glad they don't have conscription in New Zealand. I don't think I could handle doing time in the army.

SouthernBelle

on the positive side, a nice thing about being in the army is it forces you to be sociable and you get into a structured routine... exercise, meals, classes all at certain times...
i find with my SA, i work much better in a routine...

cLavain

Well...I evaded it. Waste of time and money, really. Any nation wanting to invade my country could do it in their lunch break, anyway.

GIOLANDA

nonick said:
Army is one of the reasons why i am thinking to never go back to Greece. I just cannot deal with it now. Maybe in a few years if am feeling better but not now. I would ***** in there.
Yes,unfortunately Greece has conscription which used to be 2 years but now they turned it to one. Nonick,what do you mean? Did you live in Greece?

Elessaar

Well, I really had a great time joining the army for 18 months. Althogh I think I'm not so anxious person I tried to see the bright side of it (meeting new people, being away from parents, trying to manage your own life before getting out to this rawtting world). I think that everything is just the way we see it-the way we actually want to be and not the way it is)

Quixote

In Italy conscription was abolished a couple of years ago, just in time for me not having to serve. The people in Iraq and Afghanistan and those going to Lebanon in the next weeks are professionals.
Anyway, I don't think it was much worse than other types of social interaction, and one advantage, as somebody mentioned, is that you have a routine to follow, and no need to ever take the initiative yourself, which can be hard for us. There is always some guy telling you what you have to do at any time, and with whom: as long as you don't have a rebellious spirit, it can be confortable :)

Quixote

cLavain said:
Well...I evaded it. Waste of time and money, really. Any nation wanting to invade my country could do it in their lunch break, anyway.

If I were you I wouldn't tell it around too much. You never know... :)

Nubly

i was in the US army for three years. it had a positive effect on me. i did not know how ignorant about basic life (due to my SA i'll bet) i was until i joined. i wish the US had mandatory enlistment.

For the past 2 months I have been seriously considering joining the army. In Canada they pay for your school, they pay you while you're training (and afterwards the pay is pretty good too) and I'm like SouthernBelle - I do much better with a routine.
Bad idea? Good idea? I'm still on the fence :?

scatmantom

Army would be really tough on me. Not only am i skinny and a wimp but I also hate being shouted at. Plus I dont fancy dying anytime soon...and its possible the UK could be in another conflict soon.

cLavain

Quixote said:
cLavain said:

If I were you I wouldn't tell it around too much. You never know... :)
:) Hey, are you preparing a comeback for the Roman Empire? Um...listen, Augustus Quixotius, you wouldn't have an opening for a governor in a northern province, would you? 8)

GIOLANDA

I had no idea that not every country has obligatory conscription,I learned it now from your replies! You're lucky guys! Nobody can avoid it here. Actors or singers sometimes say they have health problems so as to avoid it,but it can't be avoided,no matter how famous you are.

Also,cLavain,thank you for feeding my crazy imagination. I just imagined Quixote as a Roman governor at Scandinavian countries and you as a soldier, taking orders from him. Maybe a new story? :wink:

Quixote

cLavain said:
:) Hey, are you preparing a comeback for the Roman Empire? Um...listen, Augustus Quixotius, you wouldn't have an opening for a governor in a northern province, would you? 8)

What do you mean, are you trying to bribe me? Sure, we can arrange that :)

Also,cLavain,thank you for feeding my crazy imagination. I just imagined Quixote as a Roman governor at Scandinavian countries and you as a soldier,

The sad truth is, clavain's great-great-great-great etc...grandparents invariably beat the hell out of my ancestors every time they entertained they unhealty idea of venturing too far north... :)

SouthernBelle

I say DO IT
it will take you out your comfort zone
and any time you are out of your comfort zone, you are challenging your SA and doing things you didnt know possible
the more you 'test' yourself the further you progress, xx