ARE YOUR PARENTS THE CAUSE OF YOUR ANXIETY/DEPRESSION?

Meow said:
Yeah I grew up in a pretty unhealthy envrionment. Alkie dad, physical, mental and emotional abuse. Screaming and smashing things EVERY day. Sleeping with one eye open. They didn't protect me when I was a kid and needed protecting so bad things happened to me..

I won't go into details, but yeah. I lived in constant fear and anxiety always watching over my shoulder. I can NEVER shut that off now even though I live a LONG way away.

Hope you are better now.

Emma

My father is an alcoholic, he's drunk most of the time, every birthday I've had, he's been drunk, or how many times, i've found him passed out in the dogs beds with a vodka bottle in his mouth.

Once I went out there, he was in one of the dogs beds passed out, one dog was laying on him and the other one was grabbing him by the sock trying to get him out of her bed (lucky great danes are gentle) saddest thing I've seen.

My parents love to scream at each other.....he calls her names..she yells about the drinking......then its taken out on me or my sister....who I suspect is partial to a drink herself..which is sad.

The last really huge fight they had, I walked away...but one of then, not sure who, had an axe, and we have a cut in our sliding door, anyway, my sister called the police, and they got really mad at her, when the police arrived, my parents had to pretend to play nice.

I wonder what our neighbours think, my dad was brought home by the police before that, he was drunk on the way home, trying to bite my sister, so my mum threw him out of the car and dropped us home, when she went back, he was missing, and it was raining heavily, she was worried he'd drown in the ditch...the police found him covered in grass all wet in the ditch, turns out he'd been asleep..... :?

elizabeth86

Wow some of you guys have had it really really tough..

I think my parents contributed, although they were not bad people. I had the usual case of abandonment, which has passed down through the chain.. My mum was abandoned by her mother for a man who eventually killed himself. I think she's always felt rejected and have had difficulty trusting men (3 divorces!). My dad moved to another country when I was 2, so I felt the abandonment too. But I don't resent them or hate them..

Parents are people too, who have gone through their own issues that are hard to control, even after having kids.

kawa

My parents, particularly my mum always spoke up for me in EVERY social situation wether at the doctors or at the shops. By doing this they thought they were being nice and helping me out but really I was never exposed to dealing with people so I never learned even the basic social skills when I was a kid and it has just gotten worse as I get older. This is nothing to what some of you have been through but it is still a big problem for me. I am now 21 years old with very few friends, I have never had a girlfriend and have considered suicide often. It feels like I have totally missed out on what being a teenager is all about.

Caseums21

I can't really blame everything on my dad. The only bad thing is that he works all the time. Whenever I was in school and he worked afternoon shift, I didn't see him for the whole week.

My mom is a different story. When she lived here, she would yell at me everyday. She was never proud of what I did so I pretty much just quit doing everything. She used to hit me as hard as she could. She drank a lot. When my brother and I were in elementary school, she would be drunk on the couch while my brother and I would get ready for school ourselves. When we were in jr. high and high school, we skipped so many days. We just stopped bothering with it.

I was 16 and as my brother, dad, and I were sleeping, she packed up her stuff and left. We woke up, her things were gone, and we had no clue where she went until she called a few days later. It wasn't a big deal at the time but then it got to me.I was a teenager with no female advice and it was heartbreaking.

I've had my license now for 7 years and not once has she never rode with me. We haven't talked in about 2 months straight. When she gets mad at me, she'll call my dad to get him to yell at me but he doesn't. She's been dating a guy for a little over a year and I didn't find out until 4 months into their relationship. She didn't tell me but I found out when they started kissing each other right in front of me.

I could go on but it would be so long if I didn't stop.