are you less shy if you are out of town?

boredguy

Generally, when i go out of town with a friend i am way more relaxed and less shy than being in my own town. When i was really depressed i was anxious no matter where i was but now i'm going back to my "normal" mentality. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, except for that i can make a distinction in my mind that i will almost never see any of these people (except my friend) ever again. So does anyone have these feeling or is it generally the exact opposite? :?:

autumn_82

It's the anonymity that eases the anxiety somewhat. And in a city I feel like people are more open-minded as opposed to the small town I'm from, which makes me feel less self-conscious.

VioletTears

I know that I'm personally more anxious around people who I have established relationships with... I am still shy with strangers too but I can go into a grocery store or whatever without too much trouble, I can even interview well for jobs (after obsessing over what to say for hours before), but as soon as I'm allowed "in" to relationships my anxiety typically skyrockets to a new level...

I think when you're someplace where you don't know people, a) you are usually expected to talk less and b) if you make a fool of yourself it doesn't matter so much because you'll probably never see the people again.