Are antidepressants really the answer?

Boundless

Are they really any good? i dont want to take them really but do they work?
I am depressed all the time and i hate it but got no energy to fight it,so i was thinking of pills or something? i cant make any progress whilst depressed it makes me feel so hopeless and makes me not really want to get better but i need to.
Been a strange few days for me,been really down because of some problems
and i dont want to be like this anymore if these drugs can help me i will try get some.

Kezada

im on an anti-depressant called serotonin, it kinda helps me in a way but the best but medication for me is marijuana. serotonin helps tho

Kezada

Boundless

Seriously you shouldnt smoke that crap whilst on medication it makes you worse not better,drugs and alchohol are both very bad things to have if you are depressed.

Aerandir

Anti-depressant will help you because, but you gotta get a prescription, they stabalise the serotonin, among others, levels in your brain. It will not cure you but they can help. They will help you on the physiological side and then you're gonna be able to work on the psychological side.

redlady

I agree with Aerandir they can help you but you still have to work on yourself. They are not the be all and end all to your problems. Those deeper issues inside you will still be there regardless and will still be dictating your behaviour - in order for you to make any real change they have to be acknowledged and resolved. Medication has the potential to lessen what you are feeling - and that may make it easier for you to undertake what you have to do on the psychological side of things.

Aerandir

I would have liked to say it just like you did Red, but english is just too unatural for me...

redlady

Aerandir said:
I would have liked to say it just like you did Red, but english is just too unatural for me...

Well i must say that you do a fine job of making the unatural appear natural - i got what you were saying i just elaborated on it. :wink:

POB

no anti depressants are not the answer. They just mask yr problems, they might stop u from thinking about ur problems but there not a solution. How can u solve a problem you ve got if u dont face it and deal with it instead of hiding from the truth. Sometimes anti depressants make u a lot worse i know from experience. Take some advise dont take them instead find some councilling dont relli on yr doctor

Chilling__Echo

i'm always for anit depressants. they made me feel less anxious and depressed so that i could build my own confindense to face it on my own. give em a try. they're not a solution in a bottle but nor are they useless

angiepangie

I used my own brainpower for 5 years.No councelling or meds until recently i started a new job and panic was terrible to the point i ran off.So i figured i will try meds..citalopram.. been on it for 2 days and feelin very sick so far.Anyone know if there ok?

Chilaxin17

I don't think that medication is the answer. Like someone above me said they do not solve anything but simply cover up.

All they do for you is make you not worry about your problems (reduces your general anxiety and depression) but if you have SA it really doesn't help.

At least not from my experiences and from many others that I have read. I am taking Paxil CR 37.5 mg. It makes me much less stressed and wanting to do things but when I go out and do them I have the same problems with SA. I don't think it's improved my SA at all to be honest.

I'm probably just going to stop taking them soon, but I don't know what else to do. I am currently a college student and I am barely able to make it to class every WITH the medication. I can only imagine how I will be without them, but I'd rather have the peace of mind knowing that I'm not relying on something such as this, especially when they do not present a real solution :D

Tom_Measor

Antidepressants just treat the symptoms, not the cause. You have to try and resolve what ever problems you have while on them, as they are not meant to be a permanent cure. BTW, they can take up to six month to get the full benifit from them, so don't expect to feel better after just a couple of weeks.

Boundless

I have agoraphobia bot SA - and right now i need something to help me as im really really down,and have been coming on 4 weeks(much worse than usual) its really messing me up havent seen my support worker since i felt like this.

Lemon

Medication can be a tremendous help to deal with the symptoms but also to put you in a more positive-relaxed frame of mind to be able to work-face your issues better.
IN my case, if I wasn't taking medication I wouldn't dare to do some things that I actually do to solve the problem.

Also, every medication works different for every person...so you have to find the right medication and the right dose

paladin

Antidepressants usually are good for depression, about all modern ones, like Prozac and Panxil. I am taking one for some years and is very good for depression and also obsesive thinkings, but not for SA.

Lightcloud

I've been taking Paxil for a little over 3 months and I already feel such a difference with my SA. I can go to the mall and other public places now without even thinking about people "watching me". I can talk with more ease when I'm speaking to people in authority, and I'm more talkative and upbeat than I was before. My negative thinking has definitely improved too, and I feel like I have more confidence.

Of course, I know antidepressants aren't a cureall, but Paxil has definitely helped me. My SA isn't completely cured whatsoever, but I do see a significant improvement in my day to day life. I'm still overly anxious around certain people or groups of people, but that can't be cured overnight anyways.

If you haven't tried an antidepressant, I'd say give it a try. Paxil's side effects (the only ones I've had are drowsiness and unable to ejaculate at times) seem trivial compared to the results I've received.