Anything for under 18's?

coriander1992

Hi :)
I am becoming really agiatated (sp?) now because all of the medicines that I have heard worked for people are not reccomended for under 18's :(
Is there anything that works and that is ok for us!? :?

SilentType

Banned
Its just for your own good. The "standard age" for most psychoactive medications is 18. The reason you have to wait so long is just because the drug hasnt been tested on children. THe doctors and bigpharms are just savin thei asses but hey I don't blame em with the medications that are out on the market these days.

Peace

coriander1992

SilentType said:
Its just for your own good. The "standard age" for most psychoactive medications is 18. The reason you have to wait so long is just because the drug hasnt been tested on children. THe doctors and bigpharms are just savin thei asses but hey I don't blame em with the medications that are out on the market these days.

Peace

hmm, I don't blame them either, can't have little kids bouncing off the walls...but it's just so frustrating :(
I have been trying to look for "natural" products aswell, but most of those focus more on depression than actual anxiety. If anybody has any reccomendations then please pass them on :wink:
This in itself is quite depressing... :(

Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) is drug (medicine) free. You can try that. There are many ACT self-help workbooks available now: "Get Out of Your Mind & Into Your Life", "ACT on Life not on Anger", "The Worry Trap", "Living Beyond Your Pain", "Finding Life Beyond Trauma". A new ACT self-help workbook for anxiety comes out next year too.

JBI

My doctor put me on Paxil when I was 12. I only took a couple of pills and stopped after I read that it was not for people under 18. According to my doctor, it can be given to younger people, but they have to be closely monitored while they're on it.

kyle

Banned
JBI said:
My doctor put me on Paxil when I was 12. I only took a couple of pills and stopped after I read that it was not for people under 18. According to my doctor, it can be given to younger people, but they have to be closely monitored while they're on it.

Yeah, that label is only to cover their asses if anything happens. I wouldn't give Paxil to a 6 yr old, but 12 is ok. I would say 10 would be the cutoff age.

PS...if it was upto the pharmaceutical companies, they would be putting infants on Paxil.

kyle

Banned
Infected_Malignity said:
Yeah, it's called mary jane. Not only is it natural, but it's proven to work! (Suitable for all ages, pricing may vary.)

Marijuana is not a good treatment for anxiety or depression. It causes panic attacks in a lot of people. In most people, marijuana would aggrevate symptoms in SA.