Anyone try l-tryptophan or heard of it?

sunwindandfire

I was searching around for l-tryptophan and noticed you can now buy the real stuff in the USA. Before it was just that 5-htp stuff. My question is does it actually work?

I've heard a lot of conspiracy theories about how L-tryptophan was pulled of the market because of a bad batch. But, 5 days later paxil came out. :twisted: I ordered some anyway just out of curiosity and wanted to get your guys thoughts.

Thanks

MThill

sunwindandfire said:
I was searching around for l-tryptophan and noticed you can now buy the real stuff in the USA. Before it was just that 5-htp stuff. My question is does it actually work?

About 10 years ago, when going through a bout of depression, I was prescribed some by a naturopath who also put me on Lithia water- Natural Lithium, and St. John's Wort. I never took the St. John's Wort, but the other two seemed to work quite well. I actually felt better.

(I had previously been on Luvox and then Prozac, but they both made me feel insincere- they plastered a fake smile on my face but I still felt sad inside.)

My understanding is that l-tryptophan is pretty natural and safe to use. I think it helped me.

I was also taking a multivitamin that may also have helped me get back on an even keel.

sunwindandfire

Well I tried it. I started taking it when I was buying a house (very stressful time) It may have actually made me have a minor attack. That was a stressful time so I'm going to try taking it again since the stress levels have gone down since moving.

So far I do not recommend it.

MThill

Anxiety Relief

sunwindandfire said:
Well I tried it. I started taking it when I was buying a house (very stressful time) It may have actually made me have a minor attack. That was a stressful time so I'm going to try taking it again since the stress levels have gone down since moving.

So far I do not recommend it.

I found L- tryptophan worked for depression, but I wasn't undergoing any anxiety at the time- just depression. If your anxiety levels are high, the most effective treatment I have found anywhere is EFT, Emotional Ffreedom Technique. It may take a few tries, or even a few days of doing it over and over before you notice changes, but eventually it will work. You can try it out for free at emofree.com