Anyone here has tried therapy or counselling?

JCH

I am talking about the therapy and counseling that you need to spend big bucks on.

1.What are some of your therapist’s approach to treat the social phobia?

2.How long had/have you been on the treatment? On scale 1 to 10, where do you think you are at in terms of overcoming social phobia?

Thanks for answering.

Chao-yu

Nightshade

Not quite sure what you define as "big bucks", but I did a number of sessions with a psychologist at $135 NZ a session. I combined that with working directly from a CBT book.

I have so far had maybe 9 or 10 sessions and I am taking a break from it for a while. I have basically worked out what I need to do and have made enough progress to see that I can do it. I expect at some point I will get stuck and go back for a few more sessions some time.

As far as I'm concerned, that money has been well spent. I hate putting 1-10 ratings on things, but I feel a lot better, and I know in time and with some work I can improve more.

Crimefish

I don't pay because I'm under 18 and we have the NHS.

1.CBT.
2. 6 months (one session roughly every two weeks). Out of ten, I don't know because I have other problems like agoraphobia and general anxiety that I'm also working on.

Remus

Staff member
yeah its free here but theres a waiting list

you can pay though and get seen quicker

Remus

Staff member
I think over the years I've helped myself with it more than most therapies could, I kinda learned to think along CBT lines before it was even a therapy I reckon but it was trial and error.

guess when you are in such a crap situation you try all solutions to dig your way out of it

Chilling__Echo

i used to pay to see a psychiatrist/therapist. i've also seen one at school for free (college) and didn't really get a whole lot out of either. i think it's worth going though just for a personal evaluation. it's one thing to know CBT and exposure therapy, but there are some patterns that we don't even know we have. having a private second view helps

marc72

therapy

well my insurance pays for it but it is worth it!!! Therapists have different techniques or how to help you. I HIGHLY recommend it. In fact, for me, group therapy helps as well. Also, if you are taking medication from a pyschiatrist (doctor) , it is important to also to see a therapist to help you RE-learn or RE-THINK and help reshape your thoughts and feelings. Also, it is a good place to release whats on your mind without being judged.