Anyone from South Africa?

Khanya

Hi guys. I'm just looking for any SP sufferers who may be from South Africa. This is because most people are so ignorant about the condition here.

planemo

Yes, I'm from Jo'burg. Wish I could stay in Cape Town though. People here tend not to understand mental illnesses as much as in other countries, so I suppose you're right.

Khanya

Thank you Emu noodles. Myself I'm from Jo'burg, but currently in the UK for 3 months. So I will be back in early January.

It seems that the best places to get support in Jo'burg are the guys at the South African Depression and Anxiety Group (SADAG) and The Anxiety and Trauma Clinic, both in Sandton.

I plan to get involved with both groups when I'm back.

Going Insane

Amandla! Mayibuye!

sorry, not from South Africa but I always wanted to say this...

Last edited:

planemo

Thank you Emu noodles. Myself I'm from Jo'burg, but currently in the UK for 3 months. So I will be back in early January.

It seems that the best places to get support in Jo'burg are the guys at the South African Depression and Anxiety Group (SADAG) and The Anxiety and Trauma Clinic, both in Sandton.

I plan to get involved with both groups when I'm back.

Hey thanx I have never heard of those groups before, and i will try to find out more about them. Must be pretty cold weather in the UK right now. Summer so far has been a bit up and down here. The last few weeks were extremely hot, but the last few days has been, well, cold. At least Jo'burg has one thing good about it - the weather. Usually :)

Khanya

@Going Insane, LOL. You remind me of our politicians who like saying that.

Emu noodles. You can google both groups, they are both based around Sandton area. I know the guys at SADAG have free support groups & workshops, while the Anxiety Clinic has psychologists who offer therapy for some fee.

Good luck!! Maybe I'll see there.

CHAKRAPOINT

hey ther i live in Namibia and planning on moving to South Africa cause i wanna meet up with other social phobia sufferers there.here there are no centers for this condition ,just psychologists. im wanting for all south african sufferes to one day meet up somewhere where we can gather.

CHAKRAPOINT

yea i know what you mean though,here majority of people are social in some way or other.the worst it can get is shy.but being socially anxious is unheard of.since i always am home my parents keep telling me how it is important to be a part of the community and i just look at them wishing i can fully tell them what i am suffering with and people with any type of mental illness are looked at as if they are crazy,they are ranked up there with schizophrenia,murderers and rapists.so if i tell them im scared they will look at me different .