Anyone else worried about all the incapacity benifit stuff?

Bonus44

I don't see that far into the future, but I have an IB50 form right in front of me to fill in. I've been out of work for a few years now, and each time the form/medical comes around I'm filled with terror. I'm scared the powers that be will fail to understand my problems and stop my benefits. I will probably end up homeless if that happens. I've already been made bankrupt.

I wish I was working, I feel shitty about myself, have no experience or qualifications to speak of, and people are quick to judge you. The truth is life on benefits is a miserable existence.

IceLad

Unfortunately some people seem to make a 'career' out of claiming benefits. Personally I have found claiming benefit to be an extremely stressful experience.

I'm currently claiming JSA and even though I've told them about my health problems, my constant, main worry is coming across as lazy and not wanting a job. :roll:

Danfalc

Banned
Re: Anyone else worried about all the incapacity benifit stu

RossPK81 said:
All the stuff that's being said in the news.

It's making me feel a bit worried.
*warning major rant be warned lol* skip to the bottom to where i actualy get to the point unless you want your eyes to bleed,I do actualy make a point eventualy 8O *

Sadly its a thing the goverment target from time to time,and its true alot of people take the piss on benefits( i know so many drug dealers/scum who claim to be depressed just to get on the sick and it drives me nuts when even laugh about how easy it is).And sadlt the goverment just makes it harder instead of trying to see whos taking the piss and who is really in need of it :(

My mum is really poorly and she has alot of friends from her local mental health group,one is classafied as disabled and is in a wheelchair... suffers from depression is suicidal ect.. because she went on holiday for a week lol her physciatrist claimed she musnt be ill and discharged her and lost her benefits ect which i think is disgusting.And ive heard of so many simlar stories.. eg severley disabled people who cant physicaly get out of bed having d.l.a or incapicity benefits taken off them 8O its a piss take,and apparently the organisiastion dwp.. has to actualy fail a certain amount of claims even if they were actualy entitled :? And often kick out and fail a persons first claim in the hope they dont know they can appeal or can claim again ect i mean having to get weekly sick notes of your doctor and all sorts.
*still ranting keep going!!*

It is really harsh now... its more like an interrogation than a medical... its pissin awfull,i mean how can someone decide a in a ten minute meeting how bad your life is... they just ask you a series of pre-determined quuestions and if you dont tick all those boxes.. sorry your not ill enough and apparently are well enough to work.It makes me sick... because what about people with sp... who might find it hard to be articulate in an interview like that or open up,its not fair for a desision which affects our lives so much to be taken so easily.. because it just favours people who have the gist of the gab and can blag there way through.The amount of hoops they make you go through... is so stressfull its a suprise anyone who is actualy ill manages to claim it at all.
*nope im still raning*

Anyway sorry for the long rant im getting to the point... it just gets me so wound up... because they have made my life hellwhen ya know ive jsut wanted to try and get better and all because the nhs is messed up and i couldnt get any support.. i asked my shrink to back me up once... and he gave me a letter to go with and when i opend it,it read please take into consideration that Danile suffers from anxiety WTF? this guy has been seeing me for years new how ill i was... knew i had problems being assertive.And literaly... at my medical they had a lawyer and two doctors who asked me loads of questions and twisted my answers to make it look like i was lying :? I had no chance.So i hope maybe i can help anyone who was like me and didnt have a clue at first

*stops for breath... yup im almost done*
So yeah i think i know the benefits system pretty well by now sadly ive had them muck be about so much.My advice to anyone struggling with making a claim or having problems with an existing claim are as follows.

1.Look around the on the internet is the best bet internet... or ring up and speak to someone at a job centre or benefits office... some leaflets even give details.But the point being its all about wording and how you word your claim or speak in the interview... you need to find out how they sort of judge if your ill enough or not,its actualy points based and make sure you tell them everything.

2.Support or evidence is really good it doesnt matter what you say or what you write,it helps so much if you provide history and have someone like your gp or therpaist,social worker back you up ect because they cant discount what another profesional says about you

3Citisens advice buero... not sure if i spelt that right,but there a god send,free of charge they will help you fill out your claim form and they word it in a really good way.If you have to appeal i think they can help represent you and you get like a trainee soliciter to back you up.I cant stress this and number 2 enough... having a social worker or anyone withing the system helps so much.. it gives you so much more clout.Ive honestly had no money for 4 months despite having made a claim and got it when i was in a homeless persons hostel,my hostel worker went down one day kicked off and because she knew the system i got money the next day :? i would of been waiting alot longer without her.

4.If you dont get your claim first time... appeal... i think you can do it twice,once in writing or medical... then i think it goes to a tribunal.They honestly kick out alot of the first claims in the hope they dont come back (specialy if its a written one and you havnt had to have a medical).And it actualy cost them money to have a tribunal so if your a genuine claim they will often give in

5.Some people dont know this and im not sure if it works on all benefits.But say your currently on income support or whatever... and they decide to review your claim (they do it yearly i think or sometimes at random).If you fail your claim... all you need to do is go into your local jobcentre with a letter which says you wish to appeal and fax it over with your details obviously.And they have to carry on paying you untill your appeal... thats if its an existing claim tho not for a brand new one.

6.Try not to worry :lol: It can be aload of hassle... the goverment do have periods where they clamp down on it and yeah it makes it harder to claim,but if your really poorly you shoudlnt have too much troubles aslong as you make sure you have some support.You might actualy get a decent doctor at your medical who actualy understands and asks you all the right questions.

Bonus44

Great post Danfalc, and some very astute points (many of which I echo).. should be appreciated by the members here..

Yossarian

Re: Anyone else worried about all the incapacity benifit stu

I failed my interview some time around mid-2006 so I appealed.
It took until August (I think) 2007 until the tribunal did it's thing.
The tribunal found in my favour but nothing has happened since then.

And while they will pay you if you appeal, it is at a reduced rate. Which is a fucking pitiful amount. So for almost 2 years I've been living on fuck all and I don't know how much longer I can go on like this. It's fucked.

Liz17

I believe that they dont support certain people as well as they should be doing, the genuine people that is.

Bonus44

An update for anyone it may interest...

I was automatically given an appointment for a medical, first thing in the morning despite stating on my IB50 I have sleep problems. I called and said how stressed I was about the whole thing and, thinking it was a long shot, asked if a home visit was possible. I was told that for a home visit, my GP needs to fax a reason to Medical Services, and for my GP to do that, they need my consent (all this red tape!!)

So I wrote a short letter to my GP saying the experience would cause me great anxiety (it did last time!) and she wrote to Medical Services. About a week later I called MS' and they confirmed they had the letter and I would be contacted by a dctor.

Another 2 or 3 weeks passed, then I received a letter saying a doctor would come.. on a SUNDAY.. and again early in the morning. I phoned and rearranged the time for 2pm.

At about 1pm on the day I was sat on the toilet, right in the middle of.. err.. doing my business, when I heard a knock at the door. I called for him to wait. On opening the door I said I wasn't expecting him till 2pm, and he said wasn't the appointment at 12pm? I'm thinking this was a test to see how confused I am?

So he came in and asked a few questions about what I do with my time, do I drive, do I go to the shops, do I visit friends, do I drink etc. I answered all his questions honestly, and most were affirmative. Before I knew it, it was over. Because he arrived early I was unprepared and didn't say any of the things I had intended to!! I was concerned he didn't have a picture of how bad things were for me so asked 'what will happen next?', he said he would tell MS that I had a few problems. I was completely in the dark, had no idea what the result would be, and very anxious because I depend on incap payments. :-(

The following week I called MS and expressed my concerns, and they were surprisingly helpful. They said they hadn't had the notes back, but I could call again and as soon as they had them I could get the "verdict" over the phone. Called again the next day and was told that the doctor said I was "exempt". Apparently this means that in his opinion, I wasn't ready for examination again, although he had completed his notes also - I wasn't privy to that information. I then called the DSS (whatever it's called now I forget) and they confirmed I would continue to receive incap, what a relief that was!! I got written confirmation through in the next day or two.

As stressful as all this was, I think it was better than visiting the medical centre... so clearly it's at least worth _trying_ for a home visit..

I didn't intend to waffle on so much, but hopefully sharing my experience will give some insight to others...

MissD

IcarusUnderWater said:
Basically the Conservative party in the UK has announced that if they get elected then they will enforce a 3 strike rule with regards to job seekers allowance.

This means that if you are unemployed, you will be offered 3 different jobs and if you fail to ccept one of them, then you will be forced to do community work such as cleaning, painting etc etc or your allowance will be cut.

From my understanding, this will not affect people who are genuinly sick such as social anxiety sufferers aslong as you are seeing your doctor etc regularly and have the required paperwork.

Read this if your worried it clears it up:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7176844.stm

Interesting read & thanks for the link.
My son was put on incapacity benefit from around April to just recently.
He was getting 4 week doctors lines,well that is until he was to go for a medical.He totally flipped,got himself all workd up etc,ya know.
Now he says he wont be going back to the docs nor get a job & he will make money online which is has done.Fair play but he cant do that for ever.How would that work for the future with NI contributions & such.
All a bit of a mess !! 8)