Anyone else finding excessive religion posts bit too much?

Danfalc

Banned
LA-girl said:

Speaking of the "Religious debate" thread: Maybe it looks like we are fighting at times, but speaking for myself, and as far as I understand my opponents, it is definately not a tense argument. Most of the time we just share our views with a
:wink: and a :D!!

La girl.. i think its cool you manage to have good discusions without it turning into arguments :) im not pointing a finger at you or your posts.But like i said its just my opinion.. im not talking about anyone in particular.I see it happen on other forums and on here in the past and recently also.La girl.. i think its cool you manage to have good discusions without it turning into arguments :) im not pointing a finger at you or your posts.But like i said its just my opinion.Im sayin this because everytime i make a post i seem to get one in reply.. im not trying to take it further i just wanted to say what i felt in reply to the original question asked on this thread.

cLavain

dzerklis said:
cLavain said:
He's from Latvia, you see... :lol: J/K

lol whats that supposed to mean?
I just assumed Latvians liked a bit of violent action because of your earlier comment. It was stupid, really. Sorry about that. Didn't mean to offend your country!

jauggy

Personally I love religious debate threads as they get many people to post. On another forum I frequent, the Creation VS Evolution thread got up to 18 pages. Neither side want to concede.

It's a good way to get lurkers to post. I think Christian fundamentalists' opinions are ridiculous, but I have nothing against them as people.

LA-girl

Oh no Jauggy, I wish you hadn't told me... :? :wink:

For the rest of your post: :lol:

Really, how can someone sane person think that there is a designer behind the most impressive art of all, ourselves and the world we're apart of.... ?! It's so ridiculous!
:mrgreen: :|

jauggy

I should rewrite that. I think it is ridiculous that you would think it be part of science. I have no problems with religious beliefs, but I think those that wish to bring those things into science are trying to harm science.

I can't think of a time in the past where religious fanatatics have triumphed over scientists. Science has been proved wrong in the past but only by other scientists not religious fanatatics. Do you remember the lightning rod? The Christian resistance to that is equivalent to the resistance to evolution.

If you start introducing beings with superpowers you will get theories like - mutation fairy theory. So far no Christian has provided counter argument to my mutation fairy theory. I guess it must be really good!! OK I just wrote mutation fairy theory to shut the Fundamentalists up. Somebody has just bumped the Creation VS Evolution thread, so I may have to bump my mutation fairy theory too. I don't want to waste my 7 posts here so I will continue discussion on that other site

Oddball

Re: Anyone else finding excessive religion posts bit too muc

socratic said:
Is anyone else finding it a bit over the top with the religious posts lately? Personally i feel like non religious people are being ostracized, the only way to interact with any of the conversations is if its about jesus? The posts dont really make any sense, ive tried to interact. Theyre just quotes of what jesus said and people dont try to indentify it to their lives or discuss the issues, its quite odd, its like theyre preaching or trying to convert us or something.
I think its also causing segragation within the forum. Having a post thats titled, positive christian support only! OMG!, if i put up a post saying positive white support only, or positive gay support only, others stay out there'd be an uproar, whats wrong with 'positive support for all'?
I think its great that people have something like religion in their life, but every single day christians are flooding the board with 'their' belief systems and 'their' way of life. There are people in the room that arent christian, we're muslims, we're jews, we're buddhists, mostly we're just human and making outcasts of non christians, to me is very offensive. Have some consideration for others, a lot of people suffer from depression and reading the quotes of jesus day in day out doesnt help. Im not saying you cant post anything about jesus, but im finding it a bit overpowering, its like its getting rammed down my throat. Try mixing it up with a bit of humour? widen your horizons, discuss jesus for a few days then discuss maybe global warming, the starving people of the world, the new curious george film? Try to involve the people in the forum that arent white european christians.

Welcome to the internet, home of religious nuts, perverts, pirated software and a billion advertisments. :p

emmasma

Re: Anyone else finding excessive religion posts bit too muc

socratic said:
Is anyone else finding it a bit over the top with the religious posts lately?
Amen to that!

emmasma

But then again, I just don't read them, so if thats what helps these fellow sp sufferers, why not?

Quixote

I don't mind religious posts at all, and least of all am I offended by them. What is good about being an atheist is that you can't easily be offended in your non-beliefs :)

jauggy

I'm atheist and I am offended by Far-Right wing Christian views. Offended not because they've attacked my beliefs, but because their beliefs are so ridiculous, stupid, and ignorant. I can't believe people like Ann Coulter can make money selling books promoting intolerance.

"We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity" - Ann Coulter

No surprise that most of the intolerant people in the world are Christians given the intolerant book that they read from (see the bottom of this post). When I say "they" I don't mean all Christians but Far-Right Wing Christians. The majority of Christians on this forum are not far right wing Christians but instead believe in accomodating people of different backgrounds.

I really wish that there were more Christians that condemned the intolerance sprouting from the Christian far right. The majority of atheists are left leaning, and you will always see us condemning far-right wing conservative views.

I'm just going to take something I quoted on another forum:
Instruction to murder persons of other faiths:

Any person who performs religious rituals to other than Jehovah was to be executed.
Exodus 22:20 "He that sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the LORD only, he shall be utterly destroyed."
- A call to God to destroy persons of other faiths:
Psalms 79:6: "Pour out thy wrath upon the heathen that have not known thee, and upon the kingdoms that have not called upon thy name."
- Instruction to murder religious leaders of other faiths: Religious prophets or soothsayers of other faiths are to be ignored and exterminated.
Deuteronomy 13:1-5 "If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder, And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them...And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death...So shalt thou put the evil away from the midst of thee."

Expelling people from the protection of the camp: God ordered that certain persons be exiled from the camp. This included people with skin diseases, leprosy, and those who have touched a dead body.
Numbers 5:1-2 "And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Command the children of Israel, that they put out of the camp every leper, and every one that hath an issue, and whosoever is defiled by the dead:"

Instruction to murder any of your relatives or friends if they spread other religious faiths:
Deuteronomy 13:6-10 "If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers; Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth; Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him: But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die..."

Instruction to murder the inhabitants of any Jewish city if you find them following another religion:
Deuteronomy 13:12-15 "If thou shalt hear say in one of thy cities, which the LORD thy God hath given thee to dwell there, saying, Certain men, the children of Belial, are gone out from among you, and have withdrawn the inhabitants of their city, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which ye have not known; Then shalt thou inquire, and make search, and ask diligently; and, behold, if it be truth, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought among you; Thou shalt surely smite the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, destroying it utterly, and all that is therein, and the cattle thereof, with the edge of the sword."

Instruction to murder persons of other faiths, by stoning:
Deuteronomy 17:2-5 "If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the LORD thy God giveth thee, man or woman, that hath wrought wickedness in the sight of the LORD thy God, in transgressing his covenant, And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded; And it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and inquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel: Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die."

Murder religious leaders of other faiths: Worship of Baal was the other main religion among the Israelites at the time.
1 King 18:19; 18:40 "Now therefore send, and gather to me all Israel unto mount Carmel, and the prophets of Baal four hundred and fifty, and the prophets of the groves four hundred, which eat at Jezebel's table....And Elijah said unto them, Take the prophets of Baal; let not one of them escape. And they took them: and Elijah brought them down to the brook Kishon, and slew them there."

Mass murder of religious leaders of another faith: King Jehu pretended to convert to the religion of Baal. He acted deceitfully to gather all of the priests, prophets and members of the other faith into one of their temples. He put on the vestments of the other religion, ritually killed animals, and offers them to Baal. After confirming that everyone else in the temple is a worshiper of that religion, he arranges to have 80 men attack and slaughter all of the unarmed and helpless followers of Baal. The temple and its statues were then desecrated. God is so pleased with the act of treachery and mass murder that he promises that Jehu's descendants will rule over Israel, even to the 4th generation.
2 Kings 10:18-31 "And Jehu gathered all the people together, and said unto them, Ahab served Baal a little; but Jehu shall serve him much. Now therefore call unto me all the prophets of Baal, all his servants, and all his priests; let none be wanting: for I have a great sacrifice to do to Baal; whosoever shall be wanting, he shall not live. But Jehu did it in subtilty, to the intent that he might destroy the worshippers of Baal. And Jehu said, Proclaim a solemn assembly for Baal. And they proclaimed it. And Jehu sent through all Israel: and all the worshippers of Baal came, so that there was not a man left that came not. And they came into the house of Baal; and the house of Baal was full from one end to another. And he said unto him that was over the vestry, Bring forth vestments for all the worshippers of Baal. And he brought them forth vestments. And Jehu went, and Jehonadab the son of Rechab, into the house of Baal, and said unto the worshippers of Baal, Search, and look that there be here with you none of the servants of the LORD, but the worshippers of Baal only. And when they went in to offer sacrifices and burnt offerings, Jehu appointed fourscore men without, and said, If any of the men whom I have brought into your hands escape, he that letteth him go, his life shall be for the life of him. And it came to pass, as soon as he had made an end of offering the burnt offering, that Jehu said to the guard and to the captains, Go in, and slay them; let none come forth. And they smote them with the edge of the sword; and the guard and the captains cast them out, and went to the city of the house of Baal. And they brought forth the images out of the house of Baal, and burned them. And they brake down the image of Baal, and brake down the house of Baal, and made it a draught house unto this day. Thus Jehu destroyed Baal out of Israel...And the LORD said unto Jehu, Because thou hast done well in executing that which is right in mine eyes, and hast done unto the house of Ahab according to all that was in mine heart, thy children of the fourth generation shall sit on the throne of Israel."

Destroy religious buildings of other faiths:
2 Kings 11:18: "And all the people of the land went into the house of Baal, and brake it down; his altars and his images brake they in pieces thoroughly and slew Mattan the priest of Baal before the altars..."

Murder persons of other faiths: King Asa destroyed idols of other faiths in Judah and assembled all the people together. They swore an oath promising to murder any persons of a different faith.
2 Chronicles 15:10-15 "So they gathered themselves together at Jerusalem...And they entered into a covenant to seek the LORD God of their fathers with all their heart and with all their soul; That whosoever would not seek the LORD God of Israel should be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman. [The LORD] was found of them: and the LORD gave them rest round about."

Hate the wicked and followers of other religions: Jehoshaphat has received the wrath of God because he helped the wicked and was tolerant of persons who follow other religions.
2 Chronicles 19:1-2: And Jehoshaphat the king of Judah returned to his house in peace to Jerusalem. And Jehu the son of Hanani the seer went out to meet him, and said to king Jehoshaphat, Shouldest thou help the wicked, and love them that hate Jehovah? for this thing wrath is upon thee from before Jehovah. (American Standard Version)

Breaking up mixed-faith marriages: In the 5 to 7 decades that the Jews had remained in Babylonian captivity, many had entered into mixed-faith marriages by taking foreign wives. This opened up the possibility of introducing Pagan beliefs and practices into Israel. The people confess their sinful behavior and decide to put away their foreign wives and any children that had been born into the family. There is a similar passage in Nehemiah 13:23-30.
Ezra 10:1-16: "Shechaniah...answered and said unto Ezra, We have trespassed against our God, and have taken strange wives of the people of the land: yet now there is hope in Israel concerning this thing. Now therefore let us make a covenant with our God to put away all the wives, and such as are born of them, according to the counsel of my lord, and of those that tremble at the commandment of our God; and let it be done according to the law."

Hatred of persons of other religions: Here, persons of other religions seem to be referred to as the enemies of God. The author of Psalm 139 enthusiastically hates persons of other religions with a "perfect hatred."
Palms 139:19-22: "Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O God: Depart from me therefore, ye bloodthirsty men. For they speak against thee wickedly, And thine enemies take (thy name) in vain. Do not I hate them, O Jehovah, that hate thee? And am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee? I hate them with perfect hatred: They are become mine enemies." (ASV)
http://notyet.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=923

dzerklis

jauggy said:
I'm atheist and I am offended by Far-Right wing Christian views. Offended not because they've attacked my beliefs, but because their beliefs are so ridiculous, stupid, and ignorant. I can't believe people like Ann Coulter can make money selling books promoting intolerance.

"We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity" - Ann Coulter

No surprise that most of the intolerant people in the world are Christians given the intolerant book that they read from (see below for examples). When I say "they" I don't mean all Christians but Far-Right Wing Christians. The majority of Christians on this forum are not far right wing Christians.

I really wish that there were more Christians that condemned the intolerance sprouting from the Christian far right. The majority of atheists are left leaning, and you will always see us condemning far-right wing conservative views.

yeah, most 'believers' are hypocrites.
for me there is no such thing as atheism cos there is no god, so how can you deny something that doesnt exist?

LA-girl

8O Reminds me of the spanish inquisition! Makes me question her sense of christianity! You know I have discovered so many people, especially powerful people who abuse the Bible and Gods name in order to promote their view and political plans. Bush also claims to be christian, but are they really...Well we have another thread for that issue... Maybe she's a part of their plan (NWO) too? Btw: I thought extreme right winged=nazicm/fascism!? :roll:

The fact is that when Jesus came to earth, he condemned people who stoned others for their sin. Remember the episode with the prostitute who the religious leaders wanted to stone because of her sin, and Jesus said: may the ones who are without sin be the first to cast a stone. Now he said turn your other cheek and love your neighbour, including sinners and enemies!

God says:

I have been misrepresented by those who don't know me. John 8:41-44

I am not distant and angry, but am the complete expression of love. 1 John 4:16

And it is my desire to lavish my love on you. 1 John 3:1

The old testament was Gods way of showing people how he must punish sin. God can not tolerate sin, because all sin leads to evil. All evil we see around us is here because we did not trust that God, our father, knew what is best for us. All the ten commandments are commandmants given out of love. The first 4 how to love God and the last how to love our neighbour. But you see God has made a promise that one day there will be no sin, and no evil left and he can only bring those who choose to be obediant and choose to accept Gods gift, Jesus Christ, so that we have the possibility to live with him where all things are good for eternity.

If we choose to refuse that gift and choose to be disobediant, he must punish us and then take back the life he once gave us. That is the only way to avvoid sin and evil from ever rising up again! If he gave all sinners eternal life in heaven, including those who did not trust and love God, the same problem would rise up again and there would never be an end to all evil. But God does not have any pleasure of seing his children perish, but he must do it in order to get rid of evilness once and for all. But why does God allow all this evil we see? That I believe is because in order to not let sin ever rise a second time, we must see and understand how destroying sin is and how evil it is so that no-one will be tempted to let sin enter a second time.

Remember God created each single person because he loves us, all of us. Life is no more than a gift from God. We have a free will to choose whether to be good or evil...he gave us the guidelines and rules. And if we choose to be evil and disobediant, and refuse to accept his gift, he can't do anything else then to take our lifes back. The punisment prior to the final second death for sinners, are also beacuse he is just and loving. That is so that those who have been very wicked wil be punished harder than those who has done less. This way he ensures us that his judgment will be fair. But all who decides to accept his gift and follow Jesus and his commands has the chance of eternal life with Him and the rightous for eternity.

He created us in order to live in harmony with him forever. He loves us so much that he was willing to send his own son to be punished and killed although he was without any sin. He paid the price for us! Can you imagine how awful God must have felt when he sacrificed his precious son who had done NOTHING evil, to see him go through so much pain and not stepping in to stop it. How tempting it must have been for God and how heartbreaking to watch and hear his loving son Jesus cry and calling for his father and shouting: "My God, my God why hast thou forsaken me!"

What a sacrifice for God! But God LOVED US SOOOO MUCH, that he gave his only son so that those who believe in Him should not perish but have everlasting life! What a gift! We was not created to perish. It is all up to us, although nobody derserve it we have two choices in life: either we accept his gift or we don't...

"Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways;"

I am your Father, and I love you even as I love my son, Jesus. John 17:23

For in Jesus, my love for you is revealed. John 17:26

He is the exact representation of my being. Hebrews 1:3

He came to demonstrate that I am for you, not against you. Romans 8:31

And to tell you that I am not counting your sins. 2 Corinthians 5:18-19

Jesus died so that you and I could be reconciled. 2 Corinthians 5:18-19

His death was the ultimate expression of my love for you. 1 John 4:10

I gave up everything I loved that I might gain your love. Romans 8:31-32

If you receive the gift of my son Jesus, you receive me. 1 John 2:23

lion-and-the-lamb.jpg