Anyone else feel like its hard to make friends, let alone keep them around

Hikikomori90

I know exactly the feeling... I surround myself with people who doesnt give a rats ass about me or if I stay in touch, I couldnt call them friends because then I'd have to socialize with them sober. I gave up a long time ago, now I just keep to myself and work. I regret giving up but the feelings I get around people is just so disturbed. The only REAL contact I get with people is when I talk to the cashier at a shop or when I spend time with my family BUT even those moments tend to get pretty awkward and it tears me to pieces. I hope things get better for you, things could always get worse :/

chipndip

It is really is hard to make friends, especially if you've been out of the social scene for so long (like me) that you don't know what to do for fun, or don't have the slightest clue of where to start.

Last edited:

MrJones

I never had any friends and the few times I got to know someone a little bit I scared them away. I'm not surprised, though.

CrazyGirl

But it still makes it damn difficult to open up to people. And I've never been good at making small talk, or initiating anything with anyone. So most of my time is spent longing for interaction whilst doing nothing. I can occasionally open up, however, but it's usually more akin to just cracking the lid of a chest than flinging it all the way open.

Still, the only way forward is to keep trying. I've tried the alternative for far too long, and it only made things worse.

Describes me to the T.

Meh, it's only hard for me if the other person is also shy. If I'm one-on-one with a talkative non-shy person than it's not so bad.

Those are the people I like when I do happen to run into them

mad2rix

I'm not talkative and have limited vocabulary, and I never had an opportunity to socialize someone on Facebook account

Tulicks

Does anyone else feel like its hard to maintain relationships and function on that level with others? I try so hard and when things get akward or weird I just run...and then they give up on me.

Yes I feel the same way. Out of sync with the world... unable to communicate my thoughts and feelings with others. Detached emotionally... perplexed mentally. I feel unable to function mainly because I have no social skills around people. The only thing I can talk about in length are my problems... everything else is deadbeat attempts to converse with people who just don't get it. Over a period of time my friends have detached themselves from me because I was always coming to them with my problems, which is a BIG MISTAKE. You are doing the right thing by not telling them... if you tell them they won't understand, and will just reject you, which will only make you feel worse about yourself. Talking on a forum like this is the best route to take because people in here can actually relate and understand. Not like the closed minded people who don't know what suffering is if it hit them in the face.

When I was 8 I moved from Ohio to Michigan and lost contact with all my friends. When I was 14 I moved from Michigan to South Carolina and lost contact with those friends. At 16 I hopped on a plane to Las Vegas where my dad and step mom were because I was bullied constantly for being a 'Yankee,' the way I talked, walked and the things I was interested in were just fuel for my own humility and it seemed like SC residents just wanted to see me miserable. At 18 I moved back in with my own mother because my step mom went to prison, I had to leave college and had no where else to go, and lost the few friends I had there. And today, at 23 years old I have no friends, because I've seen what happens, and while I'd like to think things could be different I am mentally shackled. I've utterly forgotten how to be social.

EDIT: I forgot to answer your question as well. Yes. In fact it is the biggest obstacle in my life.

Last edited: