Anyone else also experience these symptoms???

skas99

I have always had a problem with people, mainly shyness and fear. I am 26 and have been diagnosed with SA and OCD. I have been taking meds which has helped but the one thing that bothers me is that I am hyperfocused on people to the extent that I have a hard time concentrating. When I am around people I feel like they are looking at me and also I am only focused on them. Its hard for me to read or even drive because I am focused so much, its like tunnel vision, I'm only focused on people. I used to avoid social situations but I am better however I compare it to adhd in which I am easily distracted. Its really hard to concentrate. My vision goes directly to people, anything outside of them is hard to concentrate on. Anyone else have this problem??

StrandedTangle

Can't say I have quite that problem; skas99. However I do have an issue with hypersensitivity. I pick up on emotions all too easily and this is painful in social situations.

JamesSmith

Trust me, people DON'T think about u nearly as much as you think they do. Most people are concerned with themselves, actually too much. We live in a selfish society where most people are out to please themselves. I believe the reason you are worried about what other people think is because you think you actually matter to these random people on the street. Guess what? I don't matter to these people, and neither do you. It's sad, but you must understand how unimportant we really are to other people that we don't know very well. I've had this problem before, but it's gotten better. I hope you overcome this.

Joan6466

Yes- you are so right! I've never had anyone put the experience in the right description of what one is doing- hyperfocussing.. I've done that myself- what helps is both behavioral and cognitive-it helps to have a prop- like a cup of water, coffee, whatever- so you can give yourself a natural eye-rest. You look down at your cup and take a sip- it looks natural but it's giving you a break from the intensity. When you're sipping from your cup and looking down at the cup- you talk to yourself-the chant of encouragement- even if you don't believe it at first- it does start to assimilate, for example, think- "I'll get better at this as I go along"- or "their heads are full of their own concerns- worries- issues- they don't have the energy to magnify me in their minds."- "this is just for practice"...if you keep reinforcing yourself- that period of high intensity-superfocussed- has a shorter duration. Thanks for your lucid description!