Any tips on building a sense of humor.

billy

For the last four years ive only interacted with my family. I have no friends and have pretty much missed out on the most important years for me to pick up social ques, and conversational skills. Therefore i have no humor, i have nothing to talk about at all. i cant hold a conversation for more then one minute. Im as interesting as a wall:( can someone please spare me some tips.

bulldog21083

While I'm no expert on carrying a conversation, the main thing is just to get them to elaborate on whatever they're talking about.
For example, if you go into work on a Monday, ask someone how their weekend was. They will probably just vaguely describe it as either good, fun, bad, etc. If they say it's good just follow that up with asking what they did. They might mention a bar or someplace they went to. Then just say something like "You went to _____? I've never been there but heard it's pretty cool place. How'd you like it?" If you keep it up eventually they might talk about something that really interests you. Once you find that it's much easier to carry a conversation.

That's what I've been trying to get myself to do this week, and so far it seems to be helping.

If you have trouble thinking of stuff to talk about, just make sure you follow the news. I usually check the news online every morning, especially for the funnier/odd news. It's always a good conversation starter for people you kind of know.

I've never met anyone without a sense of humor. Whether or not you have the same type of humor as them, I'm sure you still find SOME things funny. There's a wide range of types of comedy. Watch old Jim Carrey movies. Too manic for you? Watch Woody Allen films. Or stand up comedy. Mitch Hedberg, Dmitri Martin, and Stephen Right base their humor off of intellectual one liners. Too boring? Watch Dane Cook or Richard Pryor if you're into story telling.

But now I think I missed the whole point of your post, lol, integrating that into your conversations. I guess you can just watch all of those comics and quote them if someone brings up a topic you remember one of them doing a routine on. Can't hurt, right?

billy

Im able to laugh at what other people say, i just feel i have no humor in me to make people laugh. Most of my normal conversations are usually the minimum amount just to answer. im only 17 and this is really painful:( this one girl in class tried talking to me twice but i had nothing funny to say and seemed like i snubed her. I really dont want to be known as boring in college:(

billy

any tips anyone:(. i know im not the only person that has this. has to be at least someone else:(