Any medications work for Social Phoabia?

jayBDee

I took Paxil for social anxiety/depression. It was amazing. It totally stopped my SA but it only lasted for 6 months. My doctor played around with the dosage but it didn't seem to work again. He also tried augmenting it with other medications but that didn't seem to work. I am not saying that everyone will get "poop out" but it happened to me. I tried other medications but never got the same response as I did when I initially tried Paxil. Other meds have helped a little with depression but didn't touch the SA like Paxil.

artistAndy31

thanks

jayBDee said:
I took Paxil for social anxiety/depression. It was amazing. It totally stopped my SA but it only lasted for 6 months. My doctor played around with the dosage but it didn't seem to work again. He also tried augmenting it with other medications but that didn't seem to work. I am not saying that everyone will get "poop out" but it happened to me. I tried other medications but never got the same response as I did when I initially tried Paxil. Other meds have helped a little with depression but didn't touch the SA like Paxil.

Thanks for the response. Sucks that it stopped working for you. I just started Lexapro, so will see how that goes. :lol:

logie48

my main problem is to stop blushing...with speaking especially

I had an interview for a graduate assessment centre quite recently and by taking propanolol, well lets say it worked effectively...i havnt taken it for a while now, but i know it can work it certain situations

tool1919

I'm 27 and have had SA for a couple of years now. Main problem is the blushing and ever since the first time i'm scared of blushing it tended to happen more. I first was given propranolol (Inderal) which works pretty well. If i take 20mg it stops the physical symptoms somewhat but does nothing for the actual mental anxiety. But if its being scared of the physical symptoms that creates the anxiety then it can help.

Have been on sertraline (Zoloft) an SSRI for 6 months now. It has fairly recently been indicated for SA as well as depression. Was reluctant at first but i';ve really found it has helped me. I'm not on a very high dose (50mg/day taken when i get up). I went through a period where i hardly ever blushed and began to stop thinking about it but just recently i think it has begun to lose its effect somewhat (i think someone else may have also mentioned that about an SSRI?) but i'm gonna keep taking it. Sometimes i get some Xanax (alprazolam) off a mate and it kicks arse but you don't wanna be taking benzo's all the time.

Hope this helps. Try Inderal on an 'as-need' basis if thats all you need but if its a constant problem then maybe give the SSRI a go. Works for some people but not for others. Good luck