Any help books on this?

jt

Are there any books that can help deal with this mental illness. It's driving me crazy!

young

what anxiety? shyness, or social phobia?

yes,yes, and hell yes!

google it. or goto barnsandnoble.com

pathomeon

Books

Yeah, actually what helped me find out that I had this mental disease was a book. I found it on amazon.com after taking a personality test stating I had this problem. Its called Social Phobia: From Shyness to Stage Fright by John R. Marshall, M.D. The author is a professor of psychiatry at the university of Wisconsin, Madison, and director of the anxiety disorders clinic there. It helped me understand that there are others that have the same problem as me. (this is before I found a forum like this one) The author gives a good theory of why social phobia exists evolutionary wise at first, then goes into how he has helped others with this disorder. In the end he is a psychiatrist, so he says there are drugs that can help, weather thats the case or not, i'm not sure. He also gives info on helping find a good counselor. I got two other books but just finished this one, so I don't know how good they are yet.

IceLad

I've read a few books regarding social phobia- Positively Fearless (okay), Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness (quite good), and Painfully Shy (very good).

Currently, I'm reading How To Start A Conversation And Make Friends.

longlivesolitude

I've also read Gillian Butler's Overcoming Social Anxiety and shyness (translated to danish though) and find it very nice. It feels good to recognise the feelings and thoughts in the book, and with some selfdiscipline I think it can be very usefull when overcoming social anxiety.

scatmantom

Im currently reading a book called "self help for your nerves" by claire weekes. Its pretty good..im only about half way thru. It seems to be very broad...its written to help a wide range of sufferers. from those who are having a nervous break down to those who just suffer on and off from panic attacks now and then (like me). Its only about £7 on play.com...and there seems to be some good stuff in the book. Im no fan of books...i think this is the first book ive read since i left school, and even then i only read great expectations cos i had to for my course work! But this isnt boring and im able to read it.

Might be worth a look...but there are hundreds of books out there for us sufferers. Trouble is every1 will be looking for a book to cater exactly to their disorder and symptoms...and in my case thats not gonna be possible. But I can certainly relate to the things in the book mentioned above.

JeSs42790

I will swear by this book, the author is unknown to me, but if you are that interested, I will get you more info on it. Its called "Lifeskills for adult children" It touches mostly on adults that suffered abuse as children from alcohalic parents. But the issues that arise, and the things it goes over, are so helpful. It has short chapters, and is not a book you sit down and read the whole thing. It is more a referance, something to breeze through, and go back when you need touch-up. It is superb and was recommended by my therapist. I would give every single person a copy, because it touches on real life. It is awesome, simply put.

-Jessie