Anxious when people follow me

Invisible_Alien

I've noticed lately that if in in a supermarket or walking somewhere and someone gets close behind me and starts following me I get extremely anxious. This hasn't happenned before and it's not a paranoid anxiety like I'm afraid they're going to attack me or anything. It just gets me really anxious and I start looking at them from the corner of my eye and start walking faster. Does this or has this happenned to anyone else?

chicagoanxiety

Hi Invisible, is it that you feel they're judging your body, walking, or may attempt to strike up a conversation, or is it just the close proximity that makes you uncomfortable?

magda74

Has anything happened that makes you feel more vulnerable lately? Is it specific circumstances or certain people?

shyandnumb

Happens to me every time I step outside the house, but in reality I know nobody actually is following me. Has there been something you have or done that causing you feel nervious around other people or paranoid about others finding out? :)

Invisible_Alien

Thank you for your responses. It happens mostly when I'm at stores. It's not that I think people are judging me, it's just their close proximity that bothers me. I'm not really sure why. If its someone I know I'm fine. I'm not really sure what caused it. It's like before when I was in a supermarket someone was right behind me and kept following me with their cart. I felt like I wanted to scream "stop following me!". Maybe I am getting paranoid or maybe this is just another phobia developing that I could add to my list.

Disconnected

Its happened to me before. Usually when I'm irritable or angry, I'll feel like I need extra space. I remember one time in a mall when I felt like screaming at everyone around me. Instead I just left and felt better.

cherish

I always think someone is following me when i'm driving if they stay behind me for a while and take the same turns. And i think that other people will think i am following them! this is funny. Not the feeling but the fact that what i fear is probably far from the truth.

newshyguy

what i have to say, is that if you feel scare someone is going to attack you is ....what i do is , you gotta get ready to defend yourself and kick some ass, you know ?, take your earing out and drop your purse, and show that your not afraid of the follower, if it helps bring a pepperspray

it takes some courage and anger, and you gotta fight the fear, hope it helps it did for me