Anxiety Returning

Ladpanic

Hi, I just joined this forum. Anxiety attacks are nothing new to me, I used to suffer horrific anxiety attacks a few years ago and have been living pretty much anxiety free for a long time; however, I feel myself slipping backwards. Right now I am suffering through some health issues with my lower back and am on sick leave. I want to go back to work but I keep feeling anxious at the thought and I am having problems sleeping. I get this horrible feeling that I can't breath and wake up in the night. Tonight has been the worst.

I woke up out of a deep sleep thinking I could not breath. I then experienced pains in my abdomen and started to feel anxious. I also feel at times like I can't swallow properly. Help!!! This is crazy.

I am seeing my dr. on Friday about my back and return to work. I don't know if I should mention the digestion and swallowing problems to him or not. He might think I am a hypochondriac!

I don't know what to do!!!!!!!

sarahjane

I would mention everything about how you are feeling to the doctor. I was taken off of work for a week a few months ago, but mine was due to the anxiety atacks i had kept having, now I find working helps to take my mind of it. I dont know what I would do if i didnt have my job.

Ladpanic

Sarah:

Thanks for the reply and words of encouragement. I will mention this new condition to the dr. I had a terrible night. I am pretty sure it might be acid reflux or the beginnings of an ulcer.

Great - just what I need :(

sarahjane

I heard on the news last year that an ulcer is now know not to be stress related. I had acid reful and I thought the same thing, I used prolocec (i think) and it went away after about 4 days, Im sure it is nothing to worry about. Unless you have the facts of you being ill, you have to think that everything is normal" Thats what my therapist says anyway

shovelhead

sarahjane said:
I heard on the news last year that an ulcer is now know not to be stress related.

They are believed to be caused by infections (generally H. pylori bacteria) not stress.. Stress just increases the pain as there is more acid..

I get gastro type sympotms when I am under a lot of stress/anxiety, it passes and best not to assume there is something physically wrong before you see a doctor. Stress/Anxiety can cause a lot of different symptoms, let the doctor diagnose ;-)