Anxiety Over Pointless things

smof

Hell yes! I get anxious about buying things like that too, I guess because you can't just go into a shop and pick up a phone and buy it, you have to talk to a sales assistant. And they always offer you extra things which makes me feel like I'm being pressured into spending more money, which makes me anxious, but saying no makes me anxious too :roll:

I actually lost my contract phone 4 months ago and have been using a really old pay-as-you-go since then. I know all I need to do to get a replacement is phone up and get them to send me one free, but I can't get up the guts cos I hate doing stuff like that. So I'm paying a monthly contract on a phone I don't have. What an idiot :?

I also get bad anxiety about climbing stairs in the dark. In fact I hate stairs period, I always get mental images of tripping over on them, which makes me really panicky. I think I might be stair-o-phobic.

maggie

scatmantom said:
Hey every1

Does any1 else get anxiety over the most stupid things. Im about to get a new mobile phone, I get a new 1 every year but it always makes me anxious. I have the same problem when I get other new stuff as well. Very strange and I dont know why :?:
hey scatmantom, yeah getting a new phone would make me anxious too..in fact, i need a new cell phone..and i can't stand the idea of going into the store and listening to the salespeople go on and on about all the different plans...so for now, i stick with my old dumb phone :wink: ...and i feel anxiety about a ton of pointless things...one example? the other day, on the way to the health food store to pick up an order...there was construction on the road i always take and i had to take a detour..and find a different way there..and seriously, that threw me for a loop :roll:

maggie

scatmantom said:
Hey every1

Does any1 else get anxiety over the most stupid things. Im about to get a new mobile phone, I get a new 1 every year but it always makes me anxious. I have the same problem when I get other new stuff as well. Very strange and I dont know why :?:
hey scatmantom, yeah getting a new phone would make me anxious too..in fact, i need a new cell phone..and i can't stand the idea of going into the store and listening to the salespeople go on and on about all the different plans...so for now, i stick with my old dumb phone :wink: ...and i feel anxiety about a ton of pointless things...one example? the other day, on the way to the health food store to pick up an order...there was construction on the road i always take and i had to take a detour..and find a different way there..and seriously, that threw me for a loop :roll:

Telmari

I know how you feel a bit, Spearmint - I can be like that on some issues, always wondering if I chose the right option, got the best deal, did things the right way, etc etc. Then, usually, I try to remind myself that if it was a decision that's big enough to really mess things up in my life if it goes wrong, I've hopefully/probably thought it out in enough detail to know that I'm making a good choice, or at least one that really does lead to little chance of failure or something majorly really happening badly.

I'm wondering if the "face your fear" kind of thing might work here - maybe next time you have a non-serious decision to make that you know you'll worry about afterwards, try picking something quickly, or at random, and then take specific time afterwards to look back and ask yourself "hmm... how did that decision turn out, compared to how I thought it would?"

I use this kind of logic sometimes when I am debating how much I need to do to accomplish a goal or project - I'm kind of an uber-perfectionist at heart- almost to a self-defeating point - so one thing I've realized that I really have to do to be productive life is try to (before hand) see how it will be afterwards, and think about to myself "will this REALLY matter, once I'm done? Or will it be all right either way, no matter what I choose?"

I don't know if this kind of thing will help you or not - I know it has for me - maybe it can help you a bit too :)

-T

Spearmint said:
scatmantom said:
Hey every1

Yes, i know exactly what you are talking about, even the things in life that are supposed to be enjoyed end up been filled with anxiety for me.

Most things, even things like deciding on what to eat can make me anxious because i won't be able to decide what combinations of ingredients i want etc, i'm talking about low level anxiety here.

When i buy something, i'm anxious about,

1. Did i get the cheapest price for it
2. Did i get the right product
3. Should i have bought it i can't really afford it as i don't work etc

So it turns out that everything, even pleasurable things are stressful for me...

Like this for you aswell? or am i uber-wierd on this one?

slowmotiondaydream

man! it makes me feel at ease reading the first few posts, about purchasing a new mobile phone with anxiety at the back of your head.
My pathetic problem is anxiety over purchasing random new things, things that isn’t quite my thing (e.g. a different type of style of clothing from what I usually wear), which would make the people I know notice and comment. A simple ‘Wow’…I can foresee myself dreading in the mornings as I would go to college and was to wear something new. Or with a different style of hair I try to create for myself and walking down a street or mall, I can sense people looking at me…and they really do, eyes preying on me, my appearance. People, strangers looking at me causes a vast amount of anxiety. I feel relieved when I get back home.

Being ugly and not looking like a typical good looking girl, ive grown to tell myself that ‘so what if their looking’ which has shown some positive effect sometimes.