Anxiety over my job situation

MereMortal

Well, posting this here is a better place than anywhere else. It might not belong in this forum particularly.

I'll explain my work situation. I work as a book-keeper at a local accounting firm and have been there since October 2004. Things started going downhill after christmas that year due to my emotional sensitivity to criticism.
It's not bad criticism though, it's supposed to be 'objective' criticism but somehow I still can't handle it when I receive it. It's mostly criticism about my work and how I can improve on it but sometimes I receive comments about my personal appearance and lack of confidence and thats the type of criticism I get upset at. I get very anxious when my work mentor calls me on the internal phone, thinking she is out to give some critical comments.

One day when I got particularly upset my superior ordered me into her office and she slammed the door. With her voice raised she accused me of crying crocodile tears (she said lots of other stuff but I cant recall), like I was just putting on the waterworks for the sake of sympathy or "getting away with my immaturities".

So now as well as fearing criticism I fear getting upset when I'm subjected to it and ending up in that damn office :evil:

Jump to june this year - My very first semester of uni has ended and I know I have failed both of my subjects (just so you all know, I also do a uni degree via distance ed). I was freaking out about what to do and how my boss will treat me when she finds out my marks.
All the insane ideas I had just to avoid being in that office with the door slammed shut!!!!?.............they would have resulted in me being hurt or hospitalised!! 8O . I even had a plan and told others online of my plan, but I was talked out of it luckily enough. My marks eventually came and I got one F, and my boss had an attack of concsience due to the crocodile tears incident and went easier than expected on me.

Present - My second semester marks are due any day now. but I have a better plan now and I know my boss will be genuinely pissed when she finds I failed again.
Nowadays I find myself bored and agitated at work and not really enjoying it the least in light of past events
My plan: I can either :

A. sit in that office and get fired or

B. quit work before they have a chance to fire me.

If any option happens I may go to university (in Armidale NSW) full time and do the rest of my degree while living on campus. that may involve leaving my dog behind and it will also mean a BIG reduction in income.
Conversely, the newfound independance will be good for me and I will have a structured learning environment (the thing that was missing while doing it via distance ed). I'll deal with social problems as they come.

So...................Should I Quit or Sit???

And thanks in advance for reading my long and boring post :p

Oh BTW, if you have any similar work stories of your own or even additional advice, I'd be glad to hear :)

Ddarko

Sit and get fired. Then walk out of that place and reclaim your life. If you can pick yourself up after getting fired then you'll know you can handle that kind of put-down. Learning to take criticism and rejection is an important part of overcoming social anxiety. If you really know you're going to be fired then that's that. You know you are a valuable person. Who cares if she slams the door. Let her. You are a complete person even without the job or without a boss, and nothing people (who don't really know you) say or do with regard to you really makes a difference anyway.

Just think of getting fired as one more step toward recovery and improvement.