Anxiety over job/internship offer

this_portrait

I've been applying for various photography jobs and paid internships so that I'll have some job security by the time I graduate in about two months. Last night, I applied for some jobs, and today I got a response back from one of them. It's a paid internship for a small fashion photography business. The owner replied and told me to give him a call today "to discuss and possibly work a bit."

This small fashion photo business is owned by one guy, and to be honest, when I found that out, I felt nervous because, well, I'm paranoid and you never know who's a creeper and who's not nowadays. I researched his business, and it seems pretty legit. Hell, I even managed to find his personal Facebook and was looking to see if he's gay, because that would actually make me feel less paranoid. I also managed to Google street view the location of the studio; it's in a pretty busy area, for one, and it's in a building with other office and retail spaces, so that's comforting to know it's not some hole in the wall.

So after researching, I can logically say that this doesn't look like a shady business or anything. However, I'm still nervous about calling. If anyone can give me some advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

doubtmyself

Banned
How desperate are you for a job?
I'd apply for other jobs first. If it's just the two of you, it puts a lot of pressure on your working relationship...like being married at work.;)
You have a right to have doubts about the job. Hope you find something you are comfortable with. Cheers.

this_portrait

Well, I'm pretty desperate in the sense that I'm applying for anything and everything that is in the photography field, pays, is looking for entry-level workers, and doesn't require me to have a car.

I've applied to a few other jobs (and will continue to do so until I get hired), but this is one of the few that has responded back to me right away (just applied for it late last night).

I've been applying for various photography jobs and paid internships so that I'll have some job security by the time I graduate in about two months. Last night, I applied for some jobs, and today I got a response back from one of them. It's a paid internship for a small fashion photography business. The owner replied and told me to give him a call today "to discuss and possibly work a bit."

This small fashion photo business is owned by one guy, and to be honest, when I found that out, I felt nervous because, well, I'm paranoid and you never know who's a creeper and who's not nowadays. I researched his business, and it seems pretty legit. Hell, I even managed to find his personal Facebook and was looking to see if he's gay, because that would actually make me feel less paranoid. I also managed to Google street view the location of the studio; it's in a pretty busy area, for one, and it's in a building with other office and retail spaces, so that's comforting to know it's not some hole in the wall.

So after researching, I can logically say that this doesn't look like a shady business or anything. However, I'm still nervous about calling. If anyone can give me some advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I've been here a dozen times before. It's horrifying and embarrassing. My mom would say "Call knowing that you aren't going to take the job. Just see what he has to say. Find out the hours, requirements, expectations, etc." I've adhered to this and it's worked fairly well for me. If I want to set up an interview, I set it for as soon as possible so I don't have time to over-think it. And if you change your mind, you can call, thank them for the opportunity, but politely cancel. (I say never burn a bridge if you don't have to.) Lie if you have to and say you have other job opportunities that are more fitting for you. (I don't advocate lying too much, but sometimes you can get a better look at the other player's cards.) Maybe he'll up your pay or be more flexible with your hours if he thinks you might go elsewhere with your talent. The bottom line, for me anyway, is that I may be terrified to call back, but that will pass. I'll be kicking myself for weeks and months if I don't call at all, though. Good luck! :)

Are you sure you wouldn't want to be a bounty hunter or a private detective? You've got quite the handle on it, it seems. :D

Last edited:

this_portrait

I've been here a dozen times before. It's horrifying and embarrassing. My mom would say "Call knowing that you aren't going to take the job. Just see what he has to say. Find out the hours, requirements, expectations, etc." I've adhered to this and it's worked fairly well for me. If I want to set up an interview, I set it for as soon as possible so I don't have time to over-think it. And if you change your mind, you can call, thank them for the opportunity, but politely cancel. (I say never burn a bridge if you don't have to.) Lie if you have to and say you have other job opportunities that are more fitting for you. (I don't advocate lying too much, but sometimes you can get a better look at the other player's cards.) Maybe he'll up your pay or be more flexible with your hours if he thinks you might go elsewhere with your talent. The bottom line, for me anyway, is that I may be terrified to call back, but that will pass. I'll be kicking myself for weeks and months if I don't call at all, though. Good luck! :)

Thanks for the advice. :) I ended up taking a nap and not calling, but I will keep these tips in mind for future job offers (because I'm pretty sure I will be getting those real soon).

Are you sure you wouldn't want to be a bounty hunter or a private detective? You've got quite the handle on it, it seems. :D

Lol, I think I get my paranoia from my mother. If anyone should've been a detective, it's her. At one point I did want to be a crime scene photographer, though. :p