Anxiety from noise anyone?

uncle

I just recently moved in January so the stress alone from moving is nerve racking. The house is off a main road and I have no problem with the traffic noise inside the house its only bad outside and I don't spend much time out there so its not that bad for me. I don't like it but I knew what I was getting into before we moved here.

What I did not know was that the house is directly under a flight path. Some days it seems like just when the noise of one jet fades another one comes screaming by. I work in an oil refinery which is a very noisy enviroment and its right next to an airport. I know the people who live right by the airport have it way worse then me. I honestly don't know how they can live like that. To me it would be a like a jail sentence. Right now when they pass my heart starts racing and I get depressed obsessing over weather moving here was a big mistake.

Anyone have any experiance with living under a flight path or something similar? Is it something that you can get used to?

Noca

Banned
How do I go about that? Do i ask my doctor?

I also notice my ears twitching more...

Talk to your doctor about your problem, how it affects your life and ask to be referred to see an audiologist, or a therapist who practices systematic desensitization therapy.

Noca

Banned
I just recently moved in January so the stress alone from moving is nerve racking. The house is off a main road and I have no problem with the traffic noise inside the house its only bad outside and I don't spend much time out there so its not that bad for me. I don't like it but I knew what I was getting into before we moved here.

What I did not know was that the house is directly under a flight path. Some days it seems like just when the noise of one jet fades another one comes screaming by. I work in an oil refinery which is a very noisy enviroment and its right next to an airport. I know the people who live right by the airport have it way worse then me. I honestly don't know how they can live like that. To me it would be a like a jail sentence. Right now when they pass my heart starts racing and I get depressed obsessing over weather moving here was a big mistake.

Anyone have any experiance with living under a flight path or something similar? Is it something that you can get used to?

Welcome to SPW!

Brightinfinity

I can't use my alarm clock. When it goes off, my heart races and I have to scramble around to turn it off, then take a few minutes to calm down before I can get out of bed, which I just don't have time for in the mornings.
I also can't stand chewing and swallowing sounds. Generally the only time I hear this is when it's late at night and my mom is eating something (and of course she has to eat it in the room I'm in). I've had to pack everything up and leave the room before.

I don't know what it is but lately i've been really jumpy with noises. I'll be watching tv with my parents and a loud noise will come on and i feel embarassed! The worst is in cinema's when even a non scary film makes me feel anxious and i get paranoid that people see my reactions. I also have a hard time in places where they have loud music like clubs, concerts etc so i avoid them. The irony is that i enjoy rock music but for some reason i get self conscious about getting anxious from noises whenever other people are around.

This is exactly how I feel!!! i hate it-_-

We have to deal with this anyway. Leave room, if you have to, or better do not come there at this time, do not go in loud places if you don't want to or wear ear plugs that are designed for visiting rock concerts.

Apart from discussing this problem with doctor, there is another way if you can afford it: soundproofing your house (when you have one), use ear plugs to reduce sounds to acceptable levels, move in another neighborhood, visit your niece when she grows up, not now ::eek::
It much worse with own children, when you have nowhere to hide...

Well, I had ligyrophobia when I was younger. I remember I couldn't go to the cinema without wearing ear plugs because I was afraid of the loud sound. I don't have it anymore. I have no idea how I overcame it so I cannot really help those who have this phobia. I guess it just happened...

Shift

If people are yelling, I get pretty bad panic attacks... This one time my friend was arguing with his dad on the phone and I had to leave the house because it was freaking me out so much (I could still hear him, even from downstairs). And then it was really embarrassing because his mom came home and was wondering why I was sitting in their yard by myself.

The sound of phones vibrating also freaks me out, which is kind of silly, but I really can't stand it.