Anxiety and School

Biggybigs

I don't know if there is anyone on this site that still attends a school or college but I find it that I have been missing a sufficient amount of school due to my Generalized Anxiety because I feel awful in the mornings could this just be the stress of going to school or just my (GAD) is stronger in the morning.

PLease post reply

I go to High school!

And you know, I have a 10 MINUTE PRESENTATION TO DO ON DOMESTIC VIOLENCE!! and I think I'd rather fail than do that, which is sad. I'd do ANYTHING except that.

2invisible4u2c said:
I go to High school!

And you know, I have a 10 MINUTE PRESENTATION TO DO ON DOMESTIC VIOLENCE!! and I think I'd rather fail than do that, which is sad. I'd do ANYTHING except that.

Like you'd willingly do a presentation about something other than domestic violence? lol just kidding.

Seriously tho, school is a good place to practice managing SA

I go to high school too and I just finished a presentation a couple days ago maybe that's why I'm so optimistic lol

Good luck on your dreadful presentation invisible. If you have a choice, be the first student to do it. That way theres less time for anxiety and less embarassment because you can't compare yourself to others

woman123

Eh I dread presentations, man 5 minute presentation is like 5 hours of pure hell. haha I missed alot of days due to my anxiety as well. But I always managed to make up time. If you do find your self missing days because of your anxiety. You need to really seek help from counslers therapists or not to throw out medication, but in some circumstances , it works.

Anxiety seems to be more prevelent now and days, I'm thinking It's the food involved in todays society, and the different standards society holds....Maybe? Who knows

But anxiety sucks

workingonit

Im in highschool, and I missed alot of school last year from trying to figure out what was wrong with me. Turns out it was anxiety and panic attacks. After a long bad school year i had the summer to recover and treat my anxiety. Now I started this new school year. I have a pass to anywhere i need to go if i need to go to the nurse or guidance, and all my teachers know that I'm trying to work through the anxiety problem, so they don't ask any questions. All my friends are very supportive and so far I've been able to stay in school for 3 hours....now all i need to do is stay for the other 3. All the kids in school don't know why i keep missing some classes, and sometimes i get scared that they'll find out...but its not a big deal or anything...and once i get fully better i wanna help other people in school with my problem! :D

shy_pixie

oh I feel for you, I really do. The leading up to doing a speech is hell. I just did a speech last week, the first one for years. It went badly, I did get very nervous and I shook, but you know, I'm still alive now and no one really cares. We are all so caught up in our personal lives that we don't really spend a great deal of time thinking about what other people do.
Thinking back to high school I thought I was the only one that really, really feared it. But remembering speeches there were about 3 other people in my class that got nervous up there, and one girl faked a throat infection or something to get out of it. We are not alone, there's probably plenty of other students in your school that have the same problem. Which leads me to wonder why this problem isn't tackled in our schools.
I think public speaking is such a problem for so many people and I don't know why they don't tackle this from a very young age in school and have students regularly do this so that they are not scared of it. Remember when we all used to do show & tell and speak when we were young? What happens? All of a sudden you stop doing it, then once a year you've gotta do a speech again and you're just not used to it anymore. It's crazyness.
After my terrible, terrible speech, I feel now that I want to get rid of this problem even more. How can I ever get married for example, if I can't get up in front of people? And as nervous as I got & showed it that day, my life is still the same and all my friends are still friends with me! My family is still here for me like they have always been, and my work colleagues act the same. It's somewhat of a revelation. I'm feeling at the moment that I want to join a speaking club, and just do speech after speech, nervous as hell, until I get used to it. I'll just explain to them why I'm doing it. I'm sure they'll think I'm brave rather than stupid.
It sounds good in theory, wonder if I'll do it!?
Hope my rambling has been of some help or comfort.. :)
http://anxietyjourney.blogspot.com