Anxiety and panic attacks - my story

Anonymous

Hi there.

It’s a bit long but it might help you with your anxiety. I would be grateful for any advice on my story.

Over the last year I’ve suffered from panic attacks and anxiety related effects. It all started at the end of my degree when i was sat in an exam and had a major panic attack. I remember looking up at the light, then looking down at my paper and everything went funny. I started to loose feeling in my legs and i just wanted to leave. It then went away for 5 - 10 mins and returned again. I stopped caught my breath and continued again. It came back a third time and i was so panicky i stopped writing and waited till the exam finished and everyone had left before i made a move. Walking out was hard enough as i thought i was going to collapse. As soon as i got in my car i was fine.
I then started a new job and was happy now i had my degree. I was then told i needed to lecture students on a particular topic to do with my research. I find presentations are my weak point and i hate doing them. The first few lectures i did were rubbish although i didn't have a panic attack. However, i was starting the feel anxiety and suffer panic attacks in public places. It was getting so bad that i couldn't get on a bus. I decided to seek help. I saw the work councillor and he did several relaxation techniques with me. To be honest I thought it was all a big joke but it does work. He told me I was suffering from panic attacks and anxiety related effects. I read books that confused me deeply with all the different forms of anxiety. I then stopped my teaching and the panic attacks went away. I was building my confidence back and could get on a bus with only feeling minor anxiety. Occasionally, and I still have minor panic attacks that go quickly.
A few months ago I started teaching again and my presentation skills have improved 10 fold. I’m more confident but still get very anxious just before I begin a lecture. I realised all my anxiety was related to public performance and how well I came across to a stranger or even someone I knew. Hence the anxiety on the bus, waiting in a queue, walking in a room full of people and so on. I have this thought in my head that I’m not fully with it and I might collapse. This is the root of my problem and its difficult to get it out of my head.
After starting the teaching again and seeking advice I can control my anxiety, but something happened last weekend that threw a spanner in the works. I went along to a rock concert in one of the refectories of my university. I was stood there watching one of the bands play (having anxiety by the way. So I moved around when I felt I might faint) and in front of me this kid starts to faint. I looked at him and noticed his eyes rolling into the back of his head. He then fell in front of me and I managed to catch him before he hit the ground. No-one around me helped and I had a massive adrenaline rush as I tried to get someone to help. I dashed off to get a security guy and when I came back the kid got to his feet and was being helped by someone. This incident triggered my anxiety off again and I thought for the rest of the concert that I was going to faint just like he did. I kept picturing myself as doing the same thing and how the people around me would react. I felt aweful for the rest of the night until I had a few beers and all anxiety went away. I have actually always noticed that two beers or more calms the nerves for anxiety to go away completely. However, this is not a solution. Then today, I walk into the refectory for lunch which is the first time I’ve been in the building since the rock concert. As soon as I was in the queue with my friends I had a panic attack. I wanted to run off and go back to my office. However, I stayed in the queue and the attack went away. It then came back on, went away, and then came on again. By the time I paid for my food I was very uptight and wanted to throw my tray on the ground and walk out. I sat down and kept getting the attacks again. As soon as I left the refectory I was fine. The only explanation I could give was the vision of the kid fainting happening to me again. It was an aweful feeling and I hate getting these attacks as its having a great effect on my social and working life. I’m now scared that my next lecture will go particularly bad as I’ll be thinking of fainting and the refectory panic attacks happening to me before the lecture starts.
I would like to say though that seeking help and talking to people, whether they are your friends family etc.. has helped me no end. My mother was the best for this and its actually brought me closer to her now I feel I can open up to someone and not bottle it up inside. My therapist is also good for this but I tend not to tell him the really personal stuff. He also says I should get a girlfriend which would help me feel more confident about myself. I haven’t done this yet but I’m working on it…

Jess333

How old are you? And when did these feelings/reactions start?

How do you feel about yourself? If I asked you to take a moment and think about how you honestly feel about yourself, what could you say?

Why do you think you were so afraid of fainting? Do you remember your thoughts exactly?

Why do you think you were so nervous when you were taking that test? What were the thoughts going through your mind? Can you remember?

Anonymous

Jess,

I'm 23 years old and the feelings started when i moved to University. They wern't that bad i would just have anxiety that made me feel i was dizzy with my surroundings. I guess it was the new environment i was in. This was the first time i left home.

I feel quite confident in myself now. I think this was helped by seeking help and opening up to someone( i.e. my mum and therapist). I still get anxiety of fainting particularly when i'm hungary and standing in a que for food. I think that because i'm hungry my ability to faint is increased.

My current views on myself are as follows:

I'm scared of peoples judgements. Doing lectures, general presentation triggered off the anxiety to a high. I hate crowded places. I make sure i get to work before or after the rush hour on the bus. I hate having panic attacks on a bus, although i dont tend to get that many any more.
I'd say i was more comfortable now than i was six months ago. I'm making an effort to talk to people, especially from the opposite sex. Just this alone has helped boost my confidence and i would recommend this to any one. I dont have a girlfriend but i feel i'm a step closer to getting one.
I'd say i'm also a lot happier with my life now i'm starting to get over my anxiety and panic attacks. I used to hate getting up out of bed and doing the boring routine. Don't get me wrong i love my job to bits but i just hated the bus and the crowds.
I still get depressed now and then particularly if i get a bad panic attack or intense anxiety as i think 'i thought i crossed this bridge already'. But still i have had huge improvements and i know at the back of my mind i'm on the right road.

The fainting fear is something that i've been worried about for a while. In fact since seeking that boy faint the other week i woke up after having a nightmare of fainting in public. Its really weird why i'm affraid to faint. I've never fainted in my life. I've had two close incidents at uni where my vision went completely black but i didn't pass out. One time was when i gave a blood sample and the other was when i was druck and someone passed me a strong splif. I dont smoke anymore.
The fainting anxiety comes on when i'm hungary and with a group of people or queuing for food. It silly really but i'm too busy concentrating on not fainting that i get a panic attack or it goes away temporarily before coming back again.

The reason i was nervous in the test is simply because all the work i had done for my degree over the last four years hinged on three exams. I was going for a first class masters degree and i needed the first to prove myself as i had crap A levels and GCSE's. I got the first class in the end. :D
The thoughts i had were simply concentrating on the work. The panic attack came on without any warning or me worrying about the exam. As soon as i opened the paper i was confident and happy with the questions. To be honest i dont know why the attack occured. I still think about it today and it scares me thinking that it'll happen again. This is probably why i'm scared of fainting so much as the exam panic attack made my legs go very weak. Also the fainting issue only occured after this exam.

Jess333

Hi there, sorry it took me so long to reply. I've been tied up with my new job.

i have to go take care of something, but i will try reply tonight. :D

It's Thursday, 26th 2004

Jess

Ladyk

Hi

After reading your story, I just wanted to say how sorry I am that you're going through this.

My husband has started with panic attacks and I know he just doesn't understand them at all.

Like you he's intelligent and has a very responsible job.

As his wife, how can I help him when he's having an attack? I feel so helpless and feel like it's ruining our marriage. I have tried being understanding, I've tried being matter of fact with him and I've even got angry with him (which I hate myself for). But I don't really know how I should be with him to help him.

I hope you find a way to overcome your attacks.

Kind regards

Kay

neddy

Hello, I have had a problem with fainting but I wouldn't worry about it too much, it will just make the problems worse. I have actually blacked out a couple of times, like it felt like all the blood was draining out of me and went really dizzy. Each times I came too I was lying on the ground with people standing around me which made me very uncomfortable especially as the first time was in Holland, I was with relatives and my dad was trying to help me and was speaking to me in english, when someone asked if I was an aussie. Most times I found I fainted was from lack of sleep, not eating properly and being dehydrated as well as female problems. I would go with the flow, if it happens it happens but don't worry about it, worse things than that can happen to you.

hesperia

Lately I think I've started having anxiety or panic attacks, but I'm not sure. Twice this week my heart began racing out of control, like I was afraid of something but I don't know what. Along with that I had a sinking feeling. Kind of a very unworldly, lonely feeling. I was really concerned that I might be going crazy. I thought about seeing a doctor but am more worried I’d
just be put on some medication. I found a list of anxiety symptoms at www.selftherapy.org , which has calmed me down a bit as it's sounds quite like what I’m experiencing. Has anyone every tried that program? Or have any other suggestions? Does this sound like anxiety??

Have you tried changes in your diet? I have naturally cured my panic attacks and become panic free and med free for about 1 year now. It has taken a lot of research, determination and just about everything else to do this. I have a blog that I have started to help put down all the research and lifestyle changes that I made through this journey. You can get to the blog through my signature links. I will update it weekly and maybe some of my tips might help you. Keep strong. Have faith, they can be cured.