Anxiety and Job Responsibility

Lowlight

I am looking for some insight on a possible course for my life.

Some background: (if you don’t really want to read all this then skip down to *QUESTION*)

Right out of High School I didn’t know what I wanted to do in the world. Luckily there is a great community college near where I live, so I went and studied to get a degree in computer forensics. The associate’s degree consisted of half computer courses and half legal courses.

I finished the degree having learned that I hate computers but love legal topics like government and laws. I then thought I would like to do something in the criminal justice system and thankfully the same community college I got the computer forensics degree from also offers a degree in criminal justice.

I am only four classes away from qualifying for that degree, but again I can’t see a job that I would want to do with it. Criminal justice type jobs are very professional and I feel like I could really make mistakes due to my anxiety.

This brings me to what I think I really want to do. The community college offers (yes a third associates) in human services which I could complete in another year. From there a university near me offers a human service bachelor degree. The type of jobs with this course of study includes counselors for substance abuse victims, at risk youth, the elderly and minority issues.

This is what I want to do. I want to help people. I don’t care about money, (as long as I am self-sufficient and not relying on my parents) traveling, or anything fantastic like that. I just want to feel like I am making a difference in people’s lives. Ideally I would like to work as a daytime or overnight counselor at an at risk youth residential center. The few friends I have had in the past had told me I was easy to talk to and they could open up to me, so I think I might have a natural talent for listening and empathizing.

*QUESTION* – Can a person with anxiety or AvPD have a career as a counselor helping people with mental or emotional issues? Is it responsible to try and help people when you yourself have problems with anxiety, depression, etc? Being a counselor is being in a position of power that comes with great responsibility, and I wouldn’t want to misguide or harm anyone seeking my help due to my anxiety. What are your thoughts?

Thanks.