Anxiety and co workers in my job

rko74

I been in this grocery store job since June , i work in produce.I still find myself very anxious in the job to this day at varying times.Im always feeling like everyone is negatively evaluating me.What bugs me the most is feeling a sense of "fear" whilst walking around doing my business from the storeback area to the front.Walking past my co workers etc.Im sure they must detect my fear and nervousness, as i try my best to hide it.But sometimes it comes out, namely i go very quiet and feel a great sense of discomfort.I always say hi to all the workers in the store , and i kinda feel they are umcomortable around me.I guess i could always try a different job.What you all think?

natebrooce

rk047 please dont get a different job to beat your anxiety you gotta face your fears man, running away will only make things worse.

your workmates probably feel uncomfortable beacuse your anxiety is showing and its effecting them too, just try and act cool and try to make some small talk, like just a simple compliment or observation nothing too deep or random and do it with a smile on your face, it will put them at ease. I find that smiling really helps when im nervous.

But stick at it man things will improve!

pjam76

stay

It might not seem like much to quit your job now.. It probably won't matter in the long run anyway. But the more jobs you leave or quit over the years only leads to self-doubt...

It might not happen today, tomorrow,next year, but that self-doubt is embedded in your head and eventually you'll have very little confidence left in doing anything because in the past, the only thing you did when things got tough was to run away.

Running away from problems never works.. They just keep eating at you and eating at you until one day you might be sick because of the stress it caused you or alone with no hope. either way you shouldn't want that.

Continue to say hi to people.. I know for me saying Hi isn't that bad, it's the fact after that Hi i really don't know what to say.

Try to find out things about the other people.. People love to talk about themselves and even if it's uncomfortable, it is a lot easier when all you have to do is listen to somebody else blabbing away about themselves rather than having to think of various things to say to somebody.

Just try to keep things simple...And if you feel like you wanna run, take a few deep breaths and just chant to yourself, "I can do this." Or think of something else to say to yourself as you do your job and walk by other people.

It might not always work,but it gets your mind off of thinking about what others are thinking about you.

Jack-B

rko74

dude, what i find helpful is that if i try hide the anxiety i am experiencing, i just get worse and this creates the cause for me to hide it again, bad habit.

So what i do is tell everyone in my mind, mentally i tell eveyone that i am anxious or before i go into a situation i know i will be anxious, i mentally tell everyone. So in my mind, there's nothing to hide. I naturally feel more at ease and closer to them, since anxiety is a state of mind, if they all know i am anxious, i dont have expectations to be a certain way or hide anything from them.

Of course the next step is blatantly being honest. "I feel anxious today", everyone gets anxious so why not share it with others? People really relate and this is an expression of confidence. Confident people can admit to others and others think, "wow i wish i could admit that, thats how i feel"
But we see it as weakness, when its a sign of courage.

Jack