anticipation anxiety

slimjim119

One of my biggest problems with social phobia has always been the anticipation part of it. When some event is coming, I'll start getting nervous weeks ahead of time. I was always like that with the first day of school. I hated that more than anything.

Whenever possible I like to do things in the morning, so I don't have to wait around and get nervous about it. It's better to get it over with.I will still get nervous about going to the bank or the gas station even though I have been there dozens of times.

The initial fear always seems to be worse than the event itself. Once it's over you think "I was nervous over that." I guess that's why I like to be alone alot and avoid crowds. I get self-conscious over nothing and still can't figure why it is so hard to get over.

Johno

Your not alone with those issues. Sounds familiar to me. What would you like to improve upon or enhance? Let us all be more specific with our problems. Let us all just spit it out. I bet it is no suprise to us all...

slimjim119

Johno said:
Your not alone with those issues. Sounds familiar to me. What would you like to improve upon or enhance? Let us all be more specific with our problems. Let us all just spit it out. I bet it is no suprise to us all...

Just venting a little. I'd like to improve on everything. You sound like a shrink.

coriander1992

That is one of the defining factors of social anxiety, the fear of an event before it actually happens and anticipating the worst.
I think most of the time things don't go as bad as we fear they will.

Johno

Recently I called up a radio station to enter a competition. I had to wait a couple of minutes before I spoke to the announcer. Waiting for those two minutes made me as nervous as hell. It's all about the thoughts and beliefs in your mind. I observed it that day. Quite funny actually. (Fight or flight response when there is no danger). However I managed to get through it. I constantly was challenging my irrational thoughts. It helped quite a bit. I think they call it CBT.

CPA23

I can totally relate being nervous over the simplest of things. I will also get gas or go to the store either early in the morning or late at night because I don't like crowds. I know it is totally irrational, but I cannot help it! My SA was kinda mild in my teens and it progressively got worse. It does feel good that there are people who are like me and we can share our experiences with this ongoing struggle. But I know with time, we can survive and overcome it!!