Always medicated?

thequietone

Well, not always...just since I was 8 years old. I know my parents made the right choice, but being a perfectionist I have always found the fact that I need medication as a source for deep shame.
What are your feelings about medication for SA, depression, general anxiety, etc. ?
It seems to me that a lot of people think it's terrible that so many of us require medication to control our own minds...a part of me agrees with them, hence the embarrassment. If others can exist with ease, why can't I?
I know there's tons of evidence: predispositions, chemical imbalances blah blah blah, I grew up with these terms and all of them mean I'm sick but not in a way everyone can understand.
And then I made the mistake of looking into holistic philosophies, religious crap that says we are all in control of our minds and if you meditate you can cure yourself. I am now discovering this to be utter CRAP. (I am a little too suggestible, I think 8O )...The shame deepens. I don't really know what I'm rambling about...... :oops: :oops: Do any of you have similar experiences? How do you feel about medication?

prince1

I wish i didn't have a reason to take it but seeing as i wouldn't survive with SA medication seems the only light for me atm. Medication in my opinion is underated and seen as a bad thing, but i think if anything helps a person feel better then its good.

thequietone

Thanks for the response, prince1. :)
I know that you are right. I somehow have to accept myself for what I am, and the truth is, I need meds!!! That's just the way it is. It's time to get over it. We can't be perfect.