alternatives to meds . . .

Anonymous

I've been struggling w/ social-anxiety for about a year now. It started w/ depression and then manifested into a phobia of social situations and let me just say it fuckin sucks! But I'm 18, I gotta go to college and I'm sick and tired of feeling like crap around other people so I'm starting to get help.

I saw a Dr. and I got a prescription for Paxil but I'm not sure I want to take it after reading some 450 possible side-effects (that's way too many).

I was wondering if anyone has tried alternatives like St. John's Wort or Kava and how it worked out. Am I better off just trying Paxil out to see how I react to it or would trying something natural be just as effective?

LA323

wooow, we have something in commom. Im also 18, and have suffered this shit for about 2 years, before i was a quiet guy, but never shy and never had problems making friends of all type. I would say that i was gonna go to at least a trade school and not be a loser and make something out of my life, but when i got SA when i was 16, it ill all seemed so different now, i just wanted to finish High school and get on in my life and get any job, but things got so bad that i couldnt go on, and didnt even graduate(it sucks i know), but i just couldnt anymore, i dropped out, and i feel so fucked up, cuz my parents and friends wanted me to go on. I tried "Prozac" and i never got a side effect, but i knew i didnt want to be on medication my whole life, cuz meds only reduce ur anxiety, they dont take it away, what takes it away is ur will power and determination, and mostly ur way of thinking, and thats what i did, i left the meds after a month. now im not in school, but for now im gonna get a job, work on my SA, and later get my diploma, and maybe get a training on something. but i would recommend u stay in school even dought is hard, and go to college. good luck

Anonymous

You Could Try...

Paxil made me suicidal and gave me killer mood swings. I use homeopathics such as Nerve Tonic (an amalgam of phosphates) for panic attacks and Camomile for taking the edge off. Nervine Tea is great to ease the edge and any emotional stuff that comes with it. Also Tea's are a great covert way to take care of these problems without people (especially in college/dorms) noticing that you're medicating. If you're leery of natural cures please remember; all "drugs" start as ideas from natural sources ie. Valium started as a Valerian derivative before becoming 100% chemical. Also chemicals make your body work much harder to restabilize itself as opposed to herbs. Good Luck at College! :eek:)

Anonymous

hate this social phobia, what did i do to deserve this????

i Fuck hate this illness. im soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo angry about it. and so many people are being positive or what ever about it, but im fckn ungry about it. WHY me???? what da fuck did i do to fckn get this. am i dat evil or something, i swear to you i would prefer to be a born invalid, rather than having this fucking phobia. i can't take it, and if i don't get well quickly i will i swear commit suicide. i have tried it b4, b4 even knowing that you can actually label what i feel, but know as i know it i will do it again. ive been holding on and holding this fera for about a year now and its making me nuts. many people haven't noticed it but the torture i had to go through within myself is fuck unberiable. (sorry i might of made some mistakes as english is mu second language)
and ill leave my email with you as well, if anyone wants to email me and discuss sa or anything else, and also very much into spirituelity, paranormal stuff, life after death etc. so if your interested in the same stuff email me.
peace and love Erika 21 UK

Crimefish

Don't forget that just because something is naturally ocurring doesn't mean it can't harm you like meds can. If it didn't change your body chemistry in some way, there'd be no point in using it.
The only thing I've tried for SA is prozac, as I keep changing what things I'm taking for crohn's, and you should only change one thing at a time.

blank

Paxil only made me sick to my stomach. I think it eventually started making me happy ( giddy ) all the time.

I don't just want to be happy ... I want something that will fix my phobia.
So no it doesn't work - for me at least.

Good luck

Scottish_Player

Hiya,i have tried kava before and its not too bad if you can stomach it because its one hell of a drink,it tastes like sweaty socks (not that i have tasted them) but i only drank about 2/5 of what is recommended but i still got a great nights sleap on it :)

Its just trying to drink it that is the hardest part,i also see it comes in capsual form but i ve never tried those maybe i will now that this post has remioned me about them.