Alcohol, Antidepressand and how to avoid it

JonnyD

I'm feeling stupid because i drinked some wine and it made me feel better.
It's just like it took that constant anxiety and sadness from my mind - i felt strange because i've never felt that relaxed ever!

My family have a long history of alcoholism and tabbagism, and i'm not turning in to it! I'm not going to take meds or alcohol in a regular basis I HATE IT!

Not in my close family but many of my uncles do abuse on alcohol every weekend. My dad don't drink, and i'm blessed because of it, but he did smoke for 20 years - which is stupid and if you do smoke you should just stop , it will fuck you life forever , i hate smoking...

I don't want to be under the effect of alcohol or any drugs to feel better , i want to be normal...

I think that it's that brain chemistry problem that many people speak, but there must be another way of solving it !!!

ameo

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see drinking on weekends as a big problem. A lot of people do that without negative consequences. I'm talking about social drinking.

KurtG85

If you don't want to go the medication route than you should try counseling and cognitive behavioral therapy. If you have intense, genetically inherited social anxiety/depression most people will not see results that begin to compare with the positive effects meds can have. For these people it is usually a more deeply ingrained sub-conscious neurochemical issue rather than cognitive patterns. Cognitive behavioral therapy will still help to an extent of course. More for some than others. Whether you manipulate it through therapy or meds, brain chemistry is the root of the problem.

There is nothing inherently wrong with smoking or drinking as long as you do both responsibly.

KurtG85 said:
There is nothing inherently wrong with smoking or drinking as long as you do both responsibly.

I don't think there is a responsible way to smoke tobacco. It's killing millions of people every year.

KurtG85

sabbath92003 said:
KurtG85 said:

I don't think there is a responsible way to smoke tobacco. It's killing millions of people every year.

There are a lot more *tragically uninvolved individuals* lives lost and emotionally destroyed or damaged due to alcohol use than tobacco use. That doesn't mean tobacco isn't very deadly as well of course and I agree that the most responsible thing is to not do any drugs whatsoever.

The term 'responsibility' as used in this situation is very subjective because, of course, there are many things in life that present hazards to our own and others health which could be deemed irresponsible that are freely accepted in our society (excessively unhealthy food consumption, a general national attitude of it being fine and normal to sit on our asses and watch tv all day, not researching the candidate you are voting for to be our national president outside of watching fox news etc.).

The way I meant to express 'responsible' use of drugs and alcohol here is to acknowledge the risks involved when you take drugs that significantly alter your consciousness (unlike tobacco) and to be sure to minimize those risks for yourself and, more importantly, for others; the general common sense stuff.

Again, the best judgment and responsible decision in terms of ones health is to not do any drugs at all, but of course many drugs do offer pleasurable altered sensations of the mind which many will seek out. I don't believe it is fair or accurate to slap the very black and white term 'irresponsible' on all drug users (not that I am accusing you of saying that, I'm just saying).

Lexmark

Yep drinking takes my anxiety away and i become interested in actually doing things
"If you have intense, genetically inherited social anxiety/depression "

Just 2 who ever said that there is no such thing
you aint born with this ;P

Having a glass of wine or two is fine. My psychiatrist said that alcohol is THE BEST relaxant out there. Just don't be like me and take like 10 shots of straight vodka in 3 hours...

To me getting drunk is a lot of fun. I do like every Friday and Saturday night. But to tell the truth I wish I didn't have to drink just to get over my SA :(

JonnyD_

allanneelson said:
I think at such time you should try a rehab center, which is the only best option to get yourself out of this alcohol addiction problem. Visit http://www.lakeviewhealth.com/alcohol-addiction-treatment.php for more details Take good care of yourselves!

gosh i'm not alcoholic! i drink here and there my trouble was with being ok just when i was under alcohol effect.

i found the answer - not caring - is way better then alcohol

jennismortal

I really agree with you.This is a very good write up. Psychotherapy is as effective as drugs. Cognitive behavioral therapy can help those at risk of depression to become more conscious of negative thoughts and attitudes that feed into their depressions. Patients undergoing such therapy can learn to change these unhelpful tendencies.
You should ask your doctor or pharmacist to see if this is the case with your medication.Bear in mind that alcohol reacts with most anti depressants, increasing the effects of the alcohol, making you drowsy and more intoxicated than you would normally be. So take care and if at all possible avoid driving even if under the legal limit.

Drinking was my way of getting over my SA for the past several years.. I started out with drinking quite a bit on a daily basis just to deal with day to day things (I was drinking a half-gallon of liquor every day with a few other people).. things were really bad back then, none of us could hold a job and of course there were constant fights. I knew the drinking was a problem and so I have gradually slowed down over time to the point to where I hardly drink at all currently. However, I think the only reason I was able to do that was because I have been working from home and avoiding the outside world for the most part (I only go outside to run errands). I have gone to some social events here and there where people are drinking and I still have the urge to drink in those situations. Overall, I feel the alcohol dependency has seriously messed me up that much more because here I am several years later with the same problems that led me to drinking, except now I'm even more scared of people and the outside world because I've been avoiding for so long.

FOR REAL

Banned
Yep drinking takes my anxiety away and i become interested in actually doing things
"If you have intense, genetically inherited social anxiety/depression "

Just 2 who ever said that there is no such thing
you aint born with this ;P

i totally agree 100%:D

about the drinking part like!

Richey

I've recently been exposed to a person who was an alcoholic and he would vomit every night, have seizures, his stomach blew out like a tyre, he couldnt control his bowels then he died of live cancer, it was nasty.

i'll drink to get drunk on average twice a year, thats about it only because i dont like the taste of alcohol at all, it tastes like bitter acid or something except i dont mind corona beer or strongbow, the problem is when i drink to get drunk the flavour becomes more and more revolting so before i even get to being drunk the flavour just turns me off, but if you ever need motivation to drink in moderation, go and visit a real alcoholic, its a sure fire way of affecting your drinking habits, if you ever develop one.

TheLostCause

My advice to anyone who likes a drink is to crack open the cans and enjoy yourself, as long as your hangovers ain't that bad. Unfortunately i get real bad hangovers so i can't drink anywhere as much as i'd like to.