Agoraphobic since stabbing..!

Silvio

Arriving home from the gym in May of last year, my neighbour of 72 years of age was being 'Carjacked' by a large man in his 20's.. i tried to help out my neighbour by tackling this man & was almost fatally stabbed in the chest for my troubles.. After recieving a life saving operation & spending a lengthy time in hospital, i am absolutely petrified to step out of my front door & spend months at a time in my dressing gown watching day-time T.V.
The guy who did this to me has since pleaded guilty & was sentenced to 10 years in prison.. I, in the mean-time have lost my business & the will to live..
I'm in a position of not knowing what to do next & frequently consider suicide..
Where can i go from here..? I haven't a clue on what to do..?

moodygoo

I'm sorry you didn't get any replies quicker but its not the busiest forum in the world and I'm sure few people can relate or know how to respond.
I can't even begin to understand how you feel. I can just say that you must be an incredibly brave and strong person to risk your own life helping someone like that and don't deserve this. I don't know about where you live but is there anywhere you can get help or counselling?
Sorry I couldn't be any more help.

Danfalc

Banned
Hey silvo

First i just want to say wow,while alot of us would like to think if we saw somthing like that happening we would do somthing,but in fact when somthing like that does happen it takes balls of steel to.Like moodygoo said maybe a first step would be trying to get help through like a doctor or somthing although that obviously is going to be difficult if you find it so hard to go out.. so maybe you could get someone who would come to you.

Ive been attacked a few times because i use to be involved with drugs,by groups of people a couple of times ive had weopons used against me 2.And im not a tough guy in the slightest it scared the shit out of me and i was scared everytime there was a knock at the door ect.Im still struggling to get over my anxiety so i dont have any sure answers for you.. but i have learnt you cant force yourself,you have to take baby steps and gradualy ease yaself back into things.. and it takes patience.Also you have to look at how you think about situations and change your perception and teach your brain not to be scared of situations we shouldnt be scared of.

testobot

hey, sorry to hear about what happened. I have never been stabbed, but I had a knife pulled on me and was forced to wrestle around with a guy until he told me what he wanted. Apparently he huffed a bunch of gass or something. Anyways, I know that it may be common sense to take small steps. but make sure that they are real ones. The worst thing that you can do is to sit at home in fear constantly thinking about what happened.

In fact, according to the science, the best way to avoid Post traumatic stress disorder is not to obsess about what happened and immediately seek help. That's one reason back before PTSD was an official term, when somebody in military combat suffered from 'shell'shock' they would send them back into combat soon after recovery. The more you stay locked away in your home the more your agrophoria will grow. Somehow seek help.. even if the initial step is to make a phone call to a counselor, therapist, or psychologist.

Hope everything works out for you.

Silvio

I generally hate everyone..!! it doesn't matter what colour or religion you are.. I don't discriminate in any way like that.. The whole world is full of idiots & they are just hassell to me.. I wish i could go back in time & buy a van & go live in the middle of a field..!!

paranoid_android

Hey Silvio

I'm sorry that oneday a useless dickhead made such huge damages on your life. You have good reasons for your misanthropy. And the world is full of idiots. Also, if you are wondering your actions were really useful back that day, I believe they were. Unfortunately, we are not rewarded for good actions. You were fucking brave and not many of us can feel that. At least I don't. I wish I had such a nobel reason for my actual situation.
Now what?! I don't know anything about your financial resources nor the circumstances of your life, but have you ever considered the chance of living in a different place? I was just wondering if the sense of safety may may change when living in a different place. Of course you would have to take care of some procedures but you could find a friend that may help you. Well, this advice may sound a bit naïve or exagerated but you must have too many bad memories related to that place. And you said you lost your business, so you must have some experience on your side.
Leaving to the countryside is also my dream if I had the guts to take chances.
Feel free to message me.

maggie

paranoid_android said:
Hey Silvio

I'm sorry that oneday a useless dickhead made such huge damages on your life. You have good reasons for your misanthropy. And the world is full of idiots. Also, if you are wondering your actions were really useful back that day, I believe they were. Unfortunately, we are not rewarded for good actions. You were fucking brave and not many of us can feel that. At least I don't. I wish I had such a nobel reason for my actual situation.
Now what?! I don't know anything about your financial resources nor the circumstances of your life, but have you ever considered the chance of living in a different place? I was just wondering if the sense of safety may may change when living in a different place. Of course you would have to take care of some procedures but you could find a friend that may help you. Well, this advice may sound a bit naïve or exagerated but you must have too many bad memories related to that place. And you said you lost your business, so you must have some experience on your side.
Leaving to the countryside is also my dream if I had the guts to take chances.
Feel free to message me.
hey Silvio..i totally agree with paranoid_android's post..and i also think you were extremely brave to help your elderly neighbour! Most people couldn't have done what you did, and I think being attacked and stabbed like you were, would be extremely traumatizing...is there anywhere you could receive counseling if you felt the need :?:

Silvio

The counselling i did recieve was of very poor quality & it just made me mad..!! My cousellor was saying pretty much the same as what you guys are telling me.. "How brave i was & these things happen" & that is a load of bullshit.. I wasn't brave, i was down-right stupid.. i nearly orphaned my 9 year old daughter & near fatal stabbings don't just happen..!!
I have moved house since this occurred but it hasn't made things any better..!! I don't have a clue or the slightest idea what to do...?!?!

Silvio

Can anyone please point me in the right direction regarding forums for 'Bored & lonely' type people like myself..?? Thank you in advance..

SocialRetahd

Ummmm...I think people are affraid to reply because you always lash out in response.

There is no magical advice for getting over something like this. It's probably gonna take years. Your subconcious is telling you that everyone is a threat. To get over that, you have to prove your mind wrong again and again for probably a year.

Thats what I think, but whatever.