Advice .. on college please <3 thanks

xkiss_me_nowx

could anyone please tell me what college is like when you first start?
i start college in a few month's, and im taking ICT and Business.. but im worried i'll make an idiot of myself on the first day and stuff, and make no friend's or something.. could anyone tell me what it is like when you first start please?
i would appreciate it, thanks alot. xx

june

For me college was a lot better than high school. The first day isn't bad, usually the teacher just hands out a syllabus and talks, so it's hard to embarrass yourself. I usually show up 10 minutes early so I can pick a seat and have others sit by me so I don't have to choose who to sit by. Making friends isn't too hard, after a week or so of sitting by the same people you can start to talk to them about how the class is. I don't know how it is in business classes but in English we always have discussion groups so it's easy to make friends there.

College can be a great place to act like a anyone you want to be because no one there knows who you are. It's also good because you don't have the stress of who to eat lunch with or who to hang out with inbetween classes. You also meet so many more people by having different classes.

Good luck! I hope you have fun when you start.

xkiss_me_nowx

thankyou very much for the advice :).
i really hope it'll be okay :).
i have an interview for the college though on febuary 7th. kind of scared about that, although i got some advice off some teacher's at my school what to say and that haha.
me and my best friend, we sent our application's off about two week's ago for this college, at the same time, but she still hasn't had a reply back, she applied for music and performing arts.. i'm just a little worried she won't get in! it would be weird, because we do almost everything together, and if she didn't get in.. well even if she did, id still have to do all this on my own, meeting people and that.
but if she goes to another college i'll be gutted! that would suck! but i suppose what is meant to be, is meant to be haha.

anyway i appreciate the advice thankyou :D xx

Moonie

It always takes me awhile to adjust to new things. I didn't like college so much during my first semester. I guess it didn't help that I was at a school that I did not care for and I had an awful roommate. I ended up taking the next semester off and than transfering to a new school the following fall. I guess there really was no reason for me to take that one semester off, but it was actually a really good thing for me! I needed time to just reflect and take a break from school for awhile. I had an enjoyable time off. I was totally ready for the next semester, though, and did well!

The good things about college were already stated. You don't have to worry about who to sit with at lunch, etc. And if the school is large enough, you probably won't have too many repeated classes with people. That way you can start fresh each new semester.. So people don't know who you are and won't form an easy or stereotyped opinion about you.

The work isn't as horrible as I thought it would be in HS. Most classes are very doable. Some take a little more work than others.

But most of all, my only advice is to keep at it and don't give up. You will get used to the college life.