Advice for reversing phobias - a great non-profit webpage

racheH

www.dentalfearcentral.com/overcome_phobia_neuro.html+phobia+reaction+brain+aware&hl=en

OK, I know it's about dental phobia. But the facts and methods could be applied to any phobia, I'm sure. It's also rare to find a website that isn't asking for money in return for more information.

Only one thing: I've noticed that unlike so-called specific phobias, like of dentists, people with social anxieties aren't often sure of what their phobia is of. I wasn't, and understanding what it was was an important step for me. E.g. I used to think I was scared of talking to people. I was, but that wasn't the phobia, and using techniques to reverse phobias would not have worked to reduce my fear of conversation, because the fear of conversation was only caused by the real phobia.

My phobia wasn't of doing anything in particular; it was of other people's disapproval, and the same may true for many here. The fear of doing things in front of people was actually rational, because it was fear of the fear, and fear does actually hurt you - potentially, it can kill you. It's called anticipation anxiety. You've probably heard of it, and it's important to distinguish between this and the phobia that causes it. I say all this because if you've tried such techniques before and they failed, it might be down to the fact that you tried to cure anticipation anxiety with a technique designed to cure phobias.

I used to tell myself not to be scared to approach someone, because they were unlikely to disapprove of me. That was not addressing the phobia; it was addressing the anticipation of the phobic response. If I had been addressing the phobic response itself, I would have told myself: 'don't be scared to approach that person, because their simple disapproval cannot harm you'. (Of course this wouldn't have cured a phobia, but it would have been a start - and it was :))

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE look at it!!! It only needs the click of a mouse and if it helps just one person, if I've helped one person, it will have been worth going through the phobia myself... hence the passion :D

black_mamba

Wonderful link, still reading my way through it at the moment.

I liked what you wrote here..

'don't be scared to approach that person, because their simple disapproval cannot harm you'. (Of course this wouldn't have cured a phobia, but it would have been a start - and it was)

I've taken on this approach in the past few months, not through any given advice but through my own ideas. If someone disapproves, or doesn't agree with me, or simply doens't even like me it is not going to have a life altering affect on me so much so that I should modify my behaviour. Also the idea of accepting the pain of anxiety and the idea that you may sometimes be scared (so as to not fear the fear, so to speak).

I'm not sure what my specific phobia is of, especially since my anticipation anxiety is clouding my vision right now: I know I am bad at speaking to people because I stutter, freeze up and can never find enough to talk about, yet these things are by-products of anxiety.

Oh darn. I've confused myself now. Time for a cup of tea... :lol:

racheH

Hi black_mamba :D So glad someone finds it interesting!!!

I have tried to submit this reply twice now before crashing, so if you don't mind I'll keep it brief...

I'm not sure what my specific phobia is of, especially since my anticipation anxiety is clouding my vision right now: I know I am bad at speaking to people because I stutter, freeze up and can never find enough to talk about, yet these things are by-products of anxiety.
If you have a phobia that is far more identifiable, like arachnophobia, you could ask yourself 'can this situation hurt me anymore than spiders can?' If the answer is no (this works for me anyway) then you'll know the feelings are irrational, as most people realise that spiders cannot hurt you at all... in Britain... save the freak one that bit my dad's friend... But you know what I mean :)

I have theories for why other kinds of phobias are usually identified as such by their owners far easilier and sooner, but it appears that fate does not wish it, so I'll save sharing for another post or when I'm asked. :)

Thanks for repying; didn't want to bumb it up after a day :)

Pesik

Hi racheH thanks for the link and the info :D This sounds like me loads and it really hits the nail on the head :p Ive always been worried about what people would think of my response to things. It was more noticable when I was younger because I would saying things like "yea that movie was funny" or "yea i know who ur talking about" when I really never saw the movie or knew who the person was talking about. Hopefully this will help me some and...

Thanks again for the info :D