Advice about living situation

Lostinthemusic

Perhaps this isn't the best place to ask about something involving social graces, but this is exactly the type of situation I have no idea what to do in.

Basically, I just moved in with some people I knew from high school who just started going to my University. I like them, but I always have trouble telling whether they want me here. I haven't seen most of them for the better part of two years. But that isn't the difficult part, I've already done a year of that with a different group.

I was just invited to take a spot in the house that my bandmates live in. This would be great for me because they are some of the only people that I feel I can really get along with well. The great thing about playing music is that I can communicate through the music and let words take a backseat.

The problem is that I am already on the lease of this other house and I'm already moved in. Its a pretty expensive house too, so if I leave without anyone to take my spot I'd be leaving them with the bill. I want to do the right thing here, but I don't know how to handle it. I feel as if I have an obligation to stay here, but I'm not sure I can explain why exactly. Part of it is that I already made a commitment by signing the lease, but setting up a subletter shouldn't be too much of a problem assuming there is someone they all like.

I really would like to move, but I don't know how. It almost feels like a betrayal on my part against my current roommates.

If anyone hase some advice I would really, really appreciate it.

P.S. I haven't posted that much on this forum, but I'm doing much better than I was when I first joined. Just wanted to post a little update and thank everyone for the role they have played just by being members. So thank you all!

InfraRecon

It sounds like being with your bandmates is what you really want to do, so I think it's only fair that you don't waste your own time or anyone else's time doing something when you'd rather be doing something else.

But if you really can't decide, try to explain the situation to your old high school friends in the house. Hopefully they'll appreciate your situation and appreciate the concern you have in wanting to treat them fairly. Maybe you'll be able to work something out?

It's painfully cliche, but in situations like these it helps to talk rather than just struggle with the decision yourself. Good luck and I hope it all works out!

... and btw, is that ?uestlove in your avatar? if so, awesome!

Shade

This is a tricky situation because you don't want to betray people and end up with potential enemies. I think you ought to talk to your roommates about how they make you feel. Once they're aware of how their actions make you feel, they may change for the better. Perhaps living together this year will strengthen your relationships with them.

I'm wondering where is the best place that you can study? In a place with these people, or in a place with your band mates?

If the situation does get worse you can always move out and find someone else to take up your lease. Students move around often. You also need to be around others who make you happy. School is stressful enough.

Best of luck to you :)

Lostinthemusic

... and btw, is that ?uestlove in your avatar? if so, awesome!

Yeah! He is pretty much the model of a drummer I stive for. Toe to toe with Bonham in my book.

Thanks to both of you for the advice. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do, but I did bring up the subject and that is a good enough start for me.