A vicious circle

Lilly

Hello!
First I must apologize for my bad English.
I think I have severe social phobia. I am aware of the problem, for almost 2 years now but I have not gone to therapy. When I think about going I am afraid of many things: appointment call, waiting room, conversation with a doctor...
I just never do it.
My next problem is not having a job. I dropped out of college. I can't work with people, I tried few jobs, but all required social skills. If I'm being observed and judged while working it's unbearable for me. Because of my fear I'm not efficient at whatever I'm doing.
Please share your advice or experience.

gustavofring

My advice is to get a job and stick with it. Maybe for a while you can get something that doesn't require much social contact.

I have a job too now, at a hotel, front office, and it's scary as hell sometimes and there's a lot of guests that are rude/drunk/arrogant and I fear making mistakes, but I notice that I become more comfortable as I grow into it. A few years ago I probably would've quitted already but now I'm like damn this fear, I need the income and it is teaching me social skills. I'm trying to give it my best.

This goes for many things you fear, just do it, don't avoid. I know what it's like though, because I've been stuck in that vicious circle as well. But not everyone is the same.

ImNotMyIllness

I think the first thing you need to do is to get into therapy before you think about a job. You can have a loved one go with you on your first visit. Seeing a doctor would also be a good idea as you may need medication in addition to therapy.
Good luck! :)