A tricky Question that my Prof. can't give exact answer

Davevanza

Hi,

We all know, that, part of Depression is caused by Chemical imbalance.

Now, There are several Neurotransmitters which are responsible for it.
( Serotonin, Noradrenaline, Dopamine, Phenylethylamine, etc)

Now, it just come across my mind that one day I might ask my Doc, that, Brain's Chemical imbalance can not be measured, unlike Diabetes ( where blood sample can show the Glucose level, etc)

Now, Chemical imbalance means, our Neurotransmitters in our brain are lacking or not functioning properly, that's how, antidepressants are used to correct this.

Now, I am thinking, SSRIs ( Fluoxetine, Paroxetine, Escitalopram, etc) only affect Serotonin.

SNRI's ( Cymbalta, Effexor-XR, Milnacipran) affect 2 Neurotransmitters, that being Serotonin and Noradrenaline.

Bupropion only affect Noradrenaline and Dopamine.

Edronax ( Reboxetine) is a NARI, only affeting Noradrenaline.

TCAs.....well, some of them, ( like Amitriptyline, Imipramine) affect at least 3 of the Neurotransmitters.

MAOIs do the same, but with different mechanism.

So, why, do some people with Chemical imbalance, improved ( called Remission, medically), while only taking SSRI?

Or only taking NARI which affects only Noradrenaline?

or Bupropion which affects Dopamine and Noradrenaline only?

I asked, once, to a Professor, as I'm working in Hospital as a Researcher about this.

My main duty there is mainly to give docs info about new meds' Pharmacokinetics, and report to them about the possible drug interactions that the patients are taking, as well as a bit of Counselling to to Elderly patients, as I am put to take care of the Elderlies suffering from (Dementia, Paranoia, Parkinson Disease, Alzheimer's etc),

.......Doctors are so busy, they rarely have time to do any research, and sometimes, accidentally, wrong meds are given ( this involves nurses as in a Hospital, the shift/work schedule are rotating 24 hours. I can't blame anyone.)

So it's my job there to monitor, check carefully, do the research, and during the weekly meeting, I , then explain to the Docs if there happen to be a drug interactions or worsening conditions of the Elderly Patients.

So , as the Professor could not really give me an exact answer, I need an input from different opinion of this forum members.

I appreciate any input,

Kind regards,
David