A hopefully positive thread

Moonie

I was just wondering what some of the (seemingly) little things one can do to gradually break away from this SA mess. Maybe they can be little goals we can try every day or once a week or something.

For instance, things like:

-Initiate a 'hello' to someone first
-Ask someone a question
-Wear a bold outfit that you may be hesitant to wear in public

I will come back and post more when I think of something else.

Find people who you are comfortable with, even online.

Wear masking outfit, the common one, that will not draw attention to you when you don't want it; more of this, it will make you invisible for hostile or judgmental glances.

Go to the meeting of the local social phobia support group, with people in the same position that you are.

Find local activity buddy (for jogging, walking, visiting places).

What else? Add your thoughts, please.

Danfalc

Banned
Going to the gym really helped me so much,so exercise I believe is something which can help everyone.

I think its also important to try and be constantly be setting little goals no matter how trivial they might seem in the grand scheme of things.You chip away at stuff repeatedly and you will make progress.

Liberty

Banned
I was just wondering what some of the (seemingly) little things one can do to gradually break away from this SA mess. Maybe they can be little goals we can try every day or once a week or something.

For instance, things like:

-Initiate a 'hello' to someone first
-Ask someone a question
-Wear a bold outfit that you may be hesitant to wear in public

I will come back and post more when I think of something else.

You're talking about CBT assignments? Yes in general doing anything the opposite of what the anxiety wants you to do is good. You also have to fight to maintain a positive outlook and mindset.

My newly developed theory is that an anxiety disorder changes your life and priorities much like having a baby does. It gives you a new view of life. Everything is viewed through the filter of "how can I tiptoe around my anxiety in this situation". It's that strong. In order to break it you have to run straight towards the anxiety-causing situation just to show the fear that you won't retreat or be it's pawn.

Any of those things you listed are good. Try to keep the mindset that you are doing what you are supposed to be doing. Do anything the opposite of the anxiety's desires is a success.