A few ways to help with SA/shyness

Alright, so I made a blog post on a different website one time about tricks I use to lower anxiety in social situations....here they are!

1. exercise-It helps to lower adrenalin levels which are the main cause of anxiety.

2. pinch yourself-If you're too scared to say what you have in mind, pinch yourself on the leg until the pain is so unbearable that just saying it doesn't seem that bad anymore!

3. If you're like me and you're afraid you're gonna stutter or something, run your tongue through the movements of what you're gonna say before you actually open your mouth and say it.

4. Slow talk is a method I learned from CBT. Basically if you slow your speech down a little bit, you'll be calmer and it will give you more time to think about what you're gonna say.

5. It takes 2 people to have a conversation...Don't put all the pressure on yourself to keep it going.

6. meditate every day! Put on an uplifting song, sit somewhere, close your eyes and try to completely clear your mind, for like 5-10 minutes...It REALLY makes a difference!!!

7. Try to look your best all the time-If you look good, you FEEL good!

8. Smile! If you smile, you actually feel happier! Try it right now! smile, then frown. Notice that how you're feeling actually changes a bit!

9. When you're meeting somebody, don't worry about if they like you or not, worry about whether YOU like THEM!!

10. Think about this: Life is meaningless. There is NO POINT to life. So why stress over something that doesn't even matter??? If something doesn't matter it shouldn't be taken seriously. And if something isn't serious then there's only one option: HAVE AS MUCH FUN, WITH AS LITTLE WORK, AS YOU CAN!!! You can either worry your entire life, then die. OR you can have fun your entire life, then die..It's your choice!!!

We all have the power to change our lives, and it's NEVER too late! Get off your butt and start doing what you REALLY want to do!!!

Rednaxela

Thanks. I do some of that sometimes... I try to do #10, it makes sense to me, but It seems not to work DURING the situation itself.

Angel_Of_Death

1, 4 and 7 I do most of the time.

It does help. I'll try and take your advice on the rest.

If I can add to the list, I'd say taking deep breaths really helps.