A bit thick

Dragonfly

Does anyone else get this............I'm not thick, i'm a legal secretary and do have some brains, but because when im put on the spot, I panic and my mind goes totally blank, i get the impression that people think im a bit stupid, does anyone else get this impression from people?

Butterfly

Definitely yes. Besides panicking in front of other people, I never react properly to ill-meant comments. My husband is an outspoken and assertive person, so I'm the one people chooses to ask personal questions and say these small, poignant remarks.

Because he knows a bunch of people, we're usually surrounded by friends and relatives. Most of them see me as the weak/weird side of our couple. :(

IcanDoIt

yea, when we panick, we look stupid, and people think we are a bunch of people of low intelligence..

Tim001

This happens to me all the time. If I am having a conversation where I am putting a lot of importance in doing well ie. People in authority, opposite sex or meeting people for the first time, I tend to think too much about what they are thinking of me. I seem to sabotage my own conversations. Usually, the more "important" the person, the more chance I will have to screw up. Amazingly, this never happens with conversations where the people are perceived to be non-threatening (friends, family).

Chilling__Echo

yeah, happens to me. i work in retail so i have to be on my guard all the time. one time i was talking to a fellow employee with my back to the register and didn't see a customer waiting, the person i was talking too motioned that we had a customer, and i started ringing him up. he says "didn't mean to interrupt, you could have kept talking" - obviously sarcastically and with a bitchy tone. i just blurted out "oh he was just leaving don't worry about it" luckily he didn't say anything back... :oops: i felt so stupid

maggie

hey Dragonfly, i feel like that every single day...especially at work..cause i am always stressed out there 8O ..i know i am an intelligent person, but probably come across as being a ditz..i fumble my words, can't be heard a lot of the time...many times a more outspoken person will voice their opinion on something, and even though i have valid intelligent comment or opinion, i keep it to myself..and then i am frustrated...and sometimes i just say something completely innaccurate or inappropriate, cause it's like my brain, my mouth, or both are in some stupid state of "frozenness" 8O , ...makes me so so mad :evil:

black_mamba

and even though i have valid intelligent comment or opinion, i keep it to myself..and then i am frustrated...and sometimes i just say something completely innaccurate or inappropriate, cause it's like my brain, my mouth, or both are in some stupid state of "frozenness"

Absolutely 100% what I do...

Not only are we percieved as stupid, but also as RUDE if we fail to speak on command. 8O

Danfalc

Banned
A bit thick?

A bit thick? a bit thick is a bit of an understatement of how i feel, i feel like a complete retard when that happens to me :lol: But yeah its like i seize up and all common sense leaves me, i mummble my words if i manage to speak at all and nine times out of ten blush aswell :oops: