3 Tips to help with SA

Scottish_Player

1 - Stop reading about and researching it

2 - Stop telling yourself you have it

3 - Get out there amongst people

I know its not all that simple and i will probably get a whole lot of replies shooting me down but from my personal life this is some of the things that have helped me.

black_mamba

No you're right.

My SP got worse after I found out it was a recognised condition. I spent a lot of time on here wallowing in my symptoms (but to be fair I was excited that other people understood me for once).

Getting out there is another matter for the unfortunate sufferers who experience such physical barriers as panic attacks every time they step outside their house (am I exaggerating?).

I would also add something about trying to do practical exercises to train your brain into more positive thought patterns. This makes 3) easier. :)

Scottish_Player

black_mamba said:
My SP got worse after I found out it was a recognised condition. I spent a lot of time on here wallowing in my symptoms (but to be fair I was excited that other people understood me for once).

I know what you mean here B_M i done the exact same i was so happy when i found out the problem as before that i didnt know what was wrong with me but i then spent too long reading about it and feeling sorry for myself and i wasnt actually doing anything to help myslef but for me just the stopping reading part has helped loads. :D

black_mamba

Yup, I've made a decision to try and only contribute to the more positive topics. Easier said than done.

I think wallowing is a natural thing to want to do once you discover the term anyway, most members eventually realise its futile and move onto discussing how to help themselves and each other.

People who have come here already knowing the condition usually only want to talk about drugs or self-help.

MMmm drugs. :eek:

Danfalc

Banned
black_mamba said:
Getting out there is another matter for the unfortunate sufferers who experience such physical barriers as panic attacks every time they step outside their house (am I exaggerating?).

Nah your not exaggerating,myself and im sure a lot of other people get severe anxiety/panick attacks as soon as we step out of the front door.So just "getting out there"wont actualy help untill we learn how to deal with the situations mentaly rather than forcing ourselves to go out.

I also dont thing its a bad thing reading about sa, aslong as what your reading is benaficial like self help books which are teaching you to cope with things rather than just dwelling on negatives.

ColdFury

Yeah, I get panic attacks just going out. I've tried the whole "just get out there and try it" thing and it didn't work out at all. Its not always that simple.

Pearl

I've spent far too much idle time reading about sa on the internet and in bookshops, and it's time wasted. You don't need to be a brain surgeon to realise unless you change your thinking and face the world and your issues your life won't change. It's normal relating, what people have done for centuries! I love the positive posts here too Black Mamba.

annie

Scottish_Player said:
1 - Stop reading about and researching it

2 - Stop telling yourself you have it

3 - Get out there amongst people

I know its not all that simple and i will probably get a whole lot of replies shooting me down but from my personal life this is some of the things that have helped me.

Totally agree with you Scottish, especially about reading and researching. I know alot of people who do that and then get SO frustrated when they cannot find the answers.
As for getting out there amongst people, that would be a little harder for some people to do, but at least try, take baby steps etc.

I didn't shoot you down did I? :wink:

annie :)

Jack7

I'm rapidly coming to agree with those three steps Scottish_Player :mrgreen: Reading about SA all the time just brings me down.