24/7 Social Phobia

Quiet Angel

"There's no place like home". Isn't home a place of total and complete comfort? A place to unwind from stress? I desperately long for a place like that. ::(:

I've moved out for the first time, a few months ago, to attend a University. I'm living with three female room-mates. They're wonderful girls but I'm extremely anxious around them. Stupid phobia!

I deeply miss those easy High School days. Although the anxiety at school felt unbearable, I could rely on home to make me feel safe and secure again. Not anymore. The constant, never-ending phobia remains. It adds up over time. I erupt with tears and I rock myself to feel comfort.

Most of the time, I'll hide in my room. The walls are thin, so I can always here their voices from the outside. Discomforting! Sometimes I'm afraid to walk outside to use the bathroom/get a snack from the kitchen. If I obviously spend too much time in my room, I'll hide in a different building and study, anywhere to avoid home. What frustrates me: They STILL notice. :mad: They make friendly jokes such as: "You're a good little girl who stays in her room and studies." When I left the building for a while, one of them said: "Why were you gone for so long? Where were you?" I can't avoid it no matter what! GAH!

I talk a little bit, but not very much. I feel like a horrible room-mate. I imagine they're thinking the absolute worst of me. I imagine their disappointment. I've always wanted to have the college experience of living with room-mates, I've always found it to be so exciting, but maybe living independently is more suitable for me.

Do you guys have any advice as to how I can cope with this? I smile at my room-mates to show friendliness, I talk a bit and laugh a lot, I clean so I'm not a slob, I try my best to do everything right. I don't know.

I found share house living to be very awkward. Are you in therapy for your social phobia, it seems to be causing you heaps of discomfort?; doing something like cbt would give you a good foundation for working at overcoming this. You are doing well to be talking to them a bit, they probably don't think badly about you as you are imagining :)

I know what your feeling, im so like that. People think im so normal at first, because i can seem that way, but 3 or 4 times after they gotten to know me, my social phobia becomes to come out and haunt me.. and well i began to be quiet, slow and responding because im so nervous, i become blank..

I also tend to have lunch by myself or reject having lunch with my colleague because im too shy. But they might not think that.

Anyways, its this stupid phobia thing, but then dont let the phobia win, fight it..

if you run out of topics to say, maybe you need to build your self-esteem, and learn about what brings happiness..

if your happy with yourself, it will come out.

something to do, something to love and something to hope for =contentment.