WelshOne

I used to get very panicy too, but if kind of went away on its own. Now, every time it starts to rear its head again I use medication to help me try and fight/ignore it. If nothing else, it gives a placebo effect which gives me confidence and relaxes me that way.

Personally I have a bottle of Diazepam to use when I feel I need them, like when I have been visiting the college I'm due to start with in September. I take 2mg now, but when I had very bad panic attacks I would take 8-10mg in order to face social situations.

Also, when I took my driving test my doctor gave me some Propanolol (a beta blocker,) which is supposed to reduce to surge of adrenaline, which I would imagine is a large part of a panic attack. I now take these for REALLY scary situations.

WelshOne

Terrified of going to college, but Im just not letting myself dwell on it. If I let myself think about it from now until September I'll get myself into a nervous mess. Also, visiting with my therapist lets me realise that its not how I fear it to be (not as intimidating when you're actually there.)

The Diazepam has helped me a great deal. It makes me MUCH more relaxed (calmer), but the side effect of that is that it makes you a bit drowsy too (depending on how much you take.) I have been able to do so many things I wouldnt have been able to otherwise, with this.

If you want to keep a clear head then the beta blocker might be better. As far as I know, it doesnt make you drowsy, but just helps to stop that surge of adrenaline you get which feeds the panic.

For me, just knowing that I've got something in my system keeping me calm is enough to stop the panic attacks - unless its a REALLY stressful situation, like having to make a speech or something like that, god forbid.

A doctor would be able to help a lot more than me though, so might be worth seeing one. They would be able to give you something to help, Im sure.

Last edited: