10 million Americans have social phobia

bluenow

I found an interesting paper online. I didn't know SP affected so many. So lots of people that I think are okay might be struggling as I am. I can usually put up a pretty good front but it kills me inside.

"Social phobia (social anxiety disorder) is the third most common mental health disorder after major depression and substance abuse, affecting approximately 10 million Americans, including children and adults."

"Careful attention to a history of caffeine overuse can be helpful, as caffeinism commonly mimics symptoms of anxiety."

http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic2660.htm

Foxglove

It's funny that I don't know anybody who is like me. All the people I know are outgoing, confident, arrogant, and they think they are just God's gift to the world. I seem to be the only freak :( .

ally_green

yeah thats right...i never met anyone who has the same problem with me..it seems like im the only one in my town..all of my friends are high self esteem n enjoy their beautiful life.. :( however i have the spirit to cure my SP..and i know i can do it oneday..i hope we never give up b4 try to make our life become cheer n happy..okay?
WitH loVe.. :)

Midnight

I find it hard to believe that so many people have social phobia, at least not that bad.. I don't know anyone who in my school year who have it or are even just shy.. most are outgoing/talkative ><

shadowcopy

That's 3.3% and seems a bit high at first glance. However, maybe it is believable as how likely is it that two people (e.g. me and any one else with SP) are going to meet anyway.

Can you tell if somebody else has SP without asking?
I doubt I could... If somebody was behaving quiet and disengaged around me, I'd think it was my fault and because I am quiet and apparently incapable of being engaged in conversation or overt physical activity (such as playing a video game on Wii, I just can't do that - I'm way too self conscious).

alter_ego

I think it's probably true. People are amazed when I tell them I suffer from social phobia (well, at least their understanding of it, they seem to imagine it has something to do with a fear of crowded places :roll: tho I suppose that's a half truth :D ) and they say I come across as confident and outgoing. 8O

You can't tell if someone is socially phobic. I chat to people and I'm quite friendly but with the vast majority of people (not everyone, fortunately, some people I really like :D ) I feel very uneasy even when I'm talking to them (you know, all the usual socially phobic thoughts like what do I say next/did that sound stupid etc). But even back in the days when I was much quieter and obviously shy I realise now I talked more than I thought.

Social phobia is more of an anxiety with people than anything else and some people are better at hiding it than others. One thing that has helped me a lot from this site is I now realise how common the problem is and I find it easier, if a stranger starts chatting to me at the supermarket or wherever, if I think they might be even more anxious than I am and just as good at hiding it! :D

TAMPA-BAY

Cool thread. I wonder if that number is even accurate because people like us dont like pollsters.

Also people like us dont alwayse answer the door or phones so how can anyone know our true numbers if we like to behave like ghosts in the night.

I ve have only meet one person out side of a anxiety meet up group that I was sure had social phobia.

Ive notice lots of people with anxiety drink like a fish so I wonder how many of the people at the bars acting wild and throwing caution to the wind have anxiety?