Freakin' Out!

zoulaykha

I thought it would help if i share my feelings with you. Tomorrow is the first of my second year in high school, and all i think off is when i'm on my way to school , on feet, constatntly turning back to see who's behind me, or rather who's "staring" at me, in here, it's not like in america, we don't have all that categorizing for geeks or smth, i mean there are some unpopular persons, but its rare that you find someone completely deserted and friendless, you always have someone to talk to, that doesn't mean that moking others and making their lives hell is doesn't exist. When i think about tomorrow i only think about my multiple panic attacks during recess, when standing in the middle of a humongous crowd, while the rest of the group i'm standing with is just having fun, and suddenly one of them looks at me and gives me that sick look, that i translate into ' aKh, you're pathetic, straighten your back and stop blushing, i hate you even more". And since i get it that way, i usually don't talk to the person that gave me the look or just act cold with them , i'm frightened by recess, or having to walk all the way to class and feeling that all the eyes on you, because once you look up, there's always someone looking and talking about you, because i'm kinda well known , yet not loved, it means that people know me, all of them, because i have this original style and kinda unique (hard to explain and i don't really wanna get into details), but when it comes to my relationships, i don't really like getting close to them, even if they smile at me, i get unconfortable, and there's this boy, i've never felt like this towards a boy, i don't know if it's part of my lack of confidence, or is it really a huge crush, it's the one of the most complicated relationship i've ever been part of. And in class, i always prefer to sit in the back, so that no one behind me gets to stare at me or tell me how beautiful my hair is, compliments and insults me are pretty much the same thing for me, they make me really uncomfortable. During the entire summer vacation, i barely contacted anyone from school, and i turned off my phone for three months and i haven't used it til now. IT HElped to disconnect a little bit. right now i am reallly freakin' out, i skipped most of the third semester last year, i couldn't bare the pressure, i would go smoking , and someone proposed some pills to me,relaxing pills and i accepted, but i didn't take them, we just got over the story, smoking gives me 5 minutes of relaxation. I would do ANYTHING, A.N.Y.T.H.I.N.G. to get rid of this terror, i got drunk in the summer, while i had my cousins in my house, it was too hurtful, and there was some alcohol in the fridge left there by my uncle, so i drank it,and i felt liberated. What am i going to do now? am i going to hide in the same hole, like i did last year, I CANNOT handle school, before i forced myself, now i can't anymore, because i'm making a fool out of myself, and i can't handle the sarcastic looks on my classmates' faces when i stand on stage to do smth the teacher has asked me to do or read some paper, i'll be literally shaking. Of course there are a pretty decent amount of people that except me despite my weird behaviours, and they look at me with those warm eyes expressing that they love me, but i can't do that, i only make normal eye contact when i'm not aware of the fact that i'm going to screw things up. It's hell, there are certain positive things, but i would give up those positive things that happen in there, like a nice thing somebody did to you, just to be myself.I visited a wonderful psychiatrist in the summer and i felt A LOT better, and i'm still visiting him, i'm in therapy, i'm still in the first steps, and i haven't got the time to visit him one more time before the school year starts, and now, here i am, f***ing freakin' out! is somebody out there feeling almost the same?

Last edited:

WeirdyMcGee

haha~ I can tell you that getting drunk won't solve any of your problems.

The key is to stay busy.
Occupy yourself with something at all times.

I knew plenty of people in highschool and college who carried around a gameboy or some sort of portable gaming device/mp3 player, to keep themselves busy.
Joining a club and being delegated work can also be helpful.
Doing all of your homework on time, paying full attention to classes, getting a part time job can be helpful as well.

I worked 3 part time jobs in highschool, so all of my time was filled.

You'll have to find things that work for you.
If you're feeling overwhelmed, you can also make an appointment to see a school counselor or therapist.

Everyone makes fools of themselves in highschool. Everyone.
I don't think I could ever stress that point enough-- you're not the only person in the history of highschool to make a fool of yourself sometimes.
The main thing is that you finish.
A highschool diploma will be an achievement that you can use to hold your head high for the rest of your life.
It's pretty much a requirement.
Life doesn't end after highschool-- it goes on for quite a long time; so just hang in there for now and ask for help if you feel that you need it.

zoulaykha

Thank You for your advice, but the problem isn't really in educational levels, its' about the environnement, having to go to some etablissement almost everyday and seeing almost the same people and having to interact with them or else they will hate you or smth, that's the real problem, i've always had this problem in school since i was a child, it is definetely because of primary school. Thanks For your post i appreciate it =)

zoulaykha

@cesgrandsyeux : thank you , that's sweet, i would love to, and i asked my parents, they mocked me =)

WeirdyMcGee

You could ask your school guidance counselor about doing the grade equivalent by mail.
I think they still do that... it's an independent form of homeschooling that your parents have nothing to do with.

That's because, and I'm trying not to offend here, most adults are arseholes. To criticise the way schools are run to incorrigible figures of authority like the staff in institutions such as school is ineffective.

I understand it's difficult to empathise, they don't have to experience the difficulties that Modern Age schooling bring.

"What do you learn in school? You learn to conform. Sit down. Don’t talk. Stand in a straight line. Follow orders. You’re spending that 15,000 hours becoming an expert in obedience. When the modern education model was invented in the 19th century, it was designed to train workers for life in a factory, where standardization and obedience to authority made the workers more productive––and therefore more profitable for factory owners. The Industrial Age school system is no place to train modern knowledge workers."

^Could not be put more eloquently or accurately.

zoulaykha

You could ask your school guidance counselor about doing the grade equivalent by mail.
I think they still do that... it's an independent form of homeschooling that your parents have nothing to do with.

I would definetely try it! oO Thanks again

zoulaykha

That's because, and I'm trying not to offend here, most adults are arseholes. To criticise the way schools are run to incorrigible figures of authority like the staff in institutions such as school is ineffective.

"What do you learn in school? You learn to conform. Sit down. Don’t talk. Stand in a straight line. Follow orders. You’re spending that 15,000 hours becoming an expert in obedience. When the modern education model was invented in the 19th century, it was designed to train workers for life in a factory, where standardization and obedience to authority made the workers more productive––and therefore more profitable for factory owners. The Industrial Age school system is no place to train modern knowledge workers."

I Like the way you think =) i have a question though, if you show such dissaproval to school,why are you okay wth going there everyday? i read your post earlier, i forgot where, i understood that you're still in school...

I Like the way you think =) i have a question though, if you show such dissaproval to school,why are you okay wth going there everyday? i read your post earlier, i forgot where, i understood that you're still in school...

I'm not okay with going there. Quite the contrary. I ****ing hate it. And I still have another three years there, at least. I'm 13, I have to be there until I'm 16 (nearly 17.)

coyote

I understand it's difficult to empathise, they don't have to experience the difficulties that Modern Age schooling bring.

the 19th century was the 1800's - i'm pretty sure most of the adults you're referring to attended "Modern Age schooling" as well

from my own experience, schools are now much more centered around the needs and desires of the students than they were when I went to school

but we were more worried about deciding whether to join the Union Army or the Confederacy when we graduated

the 19th century was the 1800's - i'm pretty sure most of the adults you're referring to attended "Modern Age schooling" as well

from my own experience, schools are now much more centered around the needs and desires of the students than they were when I went to school

but we were more worried about deciding whether to join the Union Army or the Confederacy when we graduated

Modern age schooling refers to exactly that. 20th century up to the present day.

Yes,they are. But not well enough. It's an institution,you have no choice whether you go or not....you're forced to be there. Therefore, they have no real responsibility to show concern for you. Either way, they're funded, whether you move schools or not. You're not paying for your education as an individual, they don't lose out on anything. (That's the worst scenario, if you're forced to leave.)
I think centres of education need to be more focussed on the happiness of students. Because ultimately, a happier child means more potential to become motivated, work harder and do well.

Agent_Violet

I think centres of education need to be more focussed on the happiness of students. Because ultimately, a happier child means more potential to become motivated, work harder and do well.

OR they'd lose their minds trying to cater to every whim and fancy of teenagers and young kids who all have very different definitions of happiness.

A happier child can mean a more motivated,harder working child...a happier child can also mean a spoiled,complaining,rotten,entitled monster of a brat.

The educational system is definitely broken. But I don't think it's going to get fixed by letting the student run things and decide what's good or not as far as the direction of their younger school years is concerned.

With that said...as an Adult,I actually remember being in high school. it was only 10 years ago for me. and i hated every second of it. If someone told me i had to go back there, I'd probably kill myself on the spot.

coyote

...I think centres of education need to be more focussed on the happiness of students. Because ultimately, a happier child means more potential to become motivated, work harder and do well.

kids are taught not to run around with scissors

so they won't poke someone's eye out

a five year old thinks this is oppressive

maybe we should let them do whatever they want

OR they'd lose their minds trying to cater to every whim and fancy of teenagers and young kids who all have very different definitions of happiness.

A happier child can mean a more motivated,harder working child...a happier child can also mean a spoiled,complaining,rotten,entitled monster of a brat.

They'd lose their minds trying to cater for student's happiness? How?
So do you suggest a kind of totalitarian regime?

Agent_Violet

They'd lose their minds trying to cater for student's happiness? How?
So do you suggest a kind of totalitarian regime?

I don't suggest anything bc I am not qualified to make such suggestions on these things and frankly, neither is anyone on this site...unless there's some expert on all things concerning education and kids that i'm not aware of...

They'd lose their minds because you can't please everyone. It is literally impossible to please ALL students at the same time. To even attempt to do so would be completely insane. You cannot please everyone.

it's a quote... you can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time... or something similar to that.

Aside from that, one day the kids want guidance and direction...then their hormones and moods change and they want lax rules and anarchy. Who can even concieve of keeping up with that?

I think the education system has a responsibility to make learning interesting and engaging. They have a responsbility to keep student safe from bullies and harrassment while the students are on school grounds. They have a responsibility to provide a curriculum that will prepare students for life in the real adult world. So far they've failed on all counts and that's what needs to change.

zoulaykha

I don't suggest anything bc I am not qualified to make such suggestions on these things and frankly, neither is anyone on this site...unless there's some expert on all things concerning education and kids that i'm not aware of...

They'd lose their minds because you can't please everyone. It is literally impossible to please ALL students at the same time. To even attempt to do so would be completely insane. You cannot please everyone.

it's a quote... you can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time... or something similar to that.

Aside from that, one day the kids want guidance and direction...then their hormones and moods change and they want lax rules and anarchy. Who can even concieve of keeping up with that?

I think the education system has a responsibility to make learning interesting and engaging. They have a responsbility to keep student safe from bullies and harrassment while the students are on school grounds. They have a responsibility to provide a curriculum that will prepare students for life in the real adult world. So far they've failed on all counts and that's what needs to change.

i agree on what you said, you cannot please everyone, some people like me honestly prefer get home schooled that facing that daily terror at school, and i don't think it's easy in here to get home schooled, i have never actually heard of a person that was home schooled. whether they're too poor to go to school because it's too far, or they skip it the whole year.

i'm not trying to defend our system or smth, but i am sure i would've killed myself a long time ago if i was in one of the united states or the Uk's schools/high schools, i have never really saw a person being bullied at school unless in movies, and i'm starting to believe that that is actually what happens, because according to what i've seen , only rebellion kids are considered as cool kids, while geeks, poor kids etc, are being bullied everyday, what's positive in our system, is that it doesn't matter where you come from or what you posess, what matters is your personnality, that is probably why i'm not comfortable at all in here. now if i was in a foreign high school, i would be killed because of my weird and awkward behaviour,people are actually MEAN in there! remember that my opinion is based on movies, i don't know how things really go. I think, bottom line is, wherever you are in the world, social anxiety disorder makes your life a living hell, even if you are loved, you cannot love back.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]I think the education system has a responsibility to make learning interesting and engaging. They have a responsbility to keep student safe from bullies and harrassment while the students are on school grounds. They have a responsibility to provide a curriculum that will prepare students for life in the real adult world. So far they've failed on all counts and that's what needs to change.[/QUOTE]

Indeeeeed, the only paragraph I agree with.

Everyone is qualified to suggest and give a view. It's the quality of your suggestion or input that's crucial, and can be debated or challenged.

You can't placate everyone. But you can certainly try. I think that's important, that you're always trying to make your students feel more comfortable and happy in an institution they must visit 5 times a week. It's important to care for the welfare of these people who will eventually grow into adults and influence the way our society functions ultimately.

So I'm not looking to be pleased 24/7. But when I'm being subjected to hostility by my so called 'friends' or bullied by large groups of students, I want to be protected and feel relatively happy in an environment I have to visit regularly.

Lax on rules and discipline is what I'm dead against. I'm not asking for anarchy or very lax liberalism. We need rules, but we also need empathy and kindness where necessary too. Without rules, look at what we become. We become like the girls who bullied me on Friday and have frequently in the past. They recognise they can treat people in such a manner and escape punishment. This transpires to society, it's too late for these girls though.

Often,we adopt the way we were once treated and, in turn, may treat others the same way. It's the only style of social interaction we know. We learn that doing recognisably moral things aren't appreciated or even recognised, so morality isn't crucial for....well,****ing life.