yeah

Luckiecharm

Hi JD, I'm no doctor but I'd like to tell you what has helped me in the past. First step: stop fighting it. Fighting your panic/anxiety only fuels the flames. Your anxiety is here for a reason, so instead of trying to get rid of it, just allow it to be here. Allow yourself to feel this way for the moment and accept that this is just the way things are right now. I think this will immediately alleviate your feelings of panic, because at this stage, you are probably feeling panic about your panic! This is only a small piece of advice, but its a start. And remember, you are not alone, crazy or hopeless.

PS. Get some books on panic attacks and social phobia, that will really help you understand what you're going through.

tommydog

hi jdtractor

i used to have panic attacks. i continued to make the effort to go out of the house, even though i would almost always be anxious, and get terrifiying panic attacks in the middle of the street. i shudder when i think of those days.

anyhow

looking back, there were some defining moments in my recovery.

the first 2, the ones which are the most accessable to you right now are:

1. learn positive thinking patterns and thought swapping.

I was taught these techniques at an anxiety workshop, but if you feel as though you cant get to one, there are books available.

2. after doing this for about a year, i decided one day "no more thinking". i learned to simply throw away any thought that came into my head that wasnt relevant to what i was doing, or positive. just throw the thought away.

They were the 2 things that defined my recovery in the early stages.