Would appreciate your opinions about the speech I'm going to give to the Judge.

CrazyGirl

It's for my SSDI hearing. Soooo very nervous about speaking before the Judge. I live in the U.S. as I know there people around the world that post here and what we do in the U.S. another country may do things differently.
I don't even know what to say, other than knowing to TELL the TRUTH. I changed a few things due to privacy like names of places I attend or used to go to

As a baby, I underwent open heart surgery correcting a murmur and the mitral valve. I currently get annual checkups of how my heart is doing. In 2013, I went to medical clinic to get a complete heart exam. The issue the doctor brought up with me is my heart has a mild case of mitral regurgitation. It’s where the mitral valve doesn’t close tightly. Because the condition is mild, treatment isn’t necessary.
Having this condition makes me easily tired and physical activity is limited. I sleep on and off 8to9hrs. a night waking up 1 or 2 times to go to the bathroom. In addition to that, I take a nap once a day lasting an hour or so.

My daily activities are limited to sedentary and light exercise as I experience shortness of breath quickly with moderate to strenuous exercise and activities. Other symptoms I have are occasionally having spells of dizziness while standing or sitting that last a few moments. And then sometimes, I get pressure in my chest for a few moments while sitting or standing. Standing for long periods of time makes my legs tired and fatigued.

At 2yrs. old, I was diagnosed having impairment. I attended school for the deaf and hearing impaired. In 9th grade, I transferred to different school district High School and took part in an IEP program guiding me through high school. I’ve worn hearing aids since I was 2 ½ yrs. old and learned sign language at an early age to communicate with other deaf and hearing impaired friends.

After High School, I attended college part-time for several years then dropped out because I couldn’t handle the stress of studying at college level.

With my hearing loss, it made it extremely difficult to communicate well with others and follow instructions who are hearing. I would often ask people to repeat themselves or find someone else to interrupt what is being said. Even with wearing hearing aids, I still have great difficulty understanding what people are saying, whether watching people talk on tv or around people where there are other noise distractions. When people speak, their voices sounds distorted and garbled.

Talking is a challenge because it’s hard for other to understand me so end up repeating what I had said and have really bad social anxiety. That and hearing impairment, it’s difficult to communicate with others and understand what’s going on. Talking requires listening and energy so I like to stay quiet or have others speak for me. I have a hard time concentrating and completing tasks. My thoughts get side-tracked thinking about other things which make it hard to stay focused. I always tend to ask other whether I’m doing a task properly or how to complete it.

For 12 years, I had worked in retail. My job there was specialty clerk. My main job responsibilities there was unloading skids of cheese onto carts then pushing them into and out of cooler onto sales floor to stock the cheese wall.

Working there has taken a toll on my overall health in the last few years to the point of quitting because of having issues with depression, anxiety, trouble seeing at night due to poor night vision and increased loss of hearing. When I was working, my job left me with no energy to do anything else. That’s when I started having depression issues and have attempted suicide several times because of it. My former boss told me no job was worth taking my life over. I was also experiencing increased tiredness and lack of motivation to get involved in things because of being tired constantly. I had always had issues with social anxiety and depression since childhood and it took me this long to deal with it because I had the thinking that nothing was wrong with me and the feelings I had about myself and issues I had would go away.

With my social anxiety, I always felt excluded from social groups causing communication issues and feeling like an outcast. With not being able to fit in different social settings, it made my depression worse making myself want to isolate more at home. For my anxiety, I take 15mg Buspirone 3x a day and for my depression, I take 30mg Fluoxetine 1x a day. I feel most comfortable and secure around others that are deaf and hard-of-hearing like me since they know sign language like I do.

In the last few years, I have struggled with my lack of motivation to out of the home to do things. I get easily distracted and forgetful. I also have difficulty with understanding detailed and complex instructions. With my issues of being a perfectionist, it takes me extra time to complete tasks. I have a challenge with concentrating on tasks. Sleeping is sometimes hard to do as I wake up 1-2x a night going to the bathroom then have trouble falling back asleep. During the day, I take a nap for an hour or so.

Handling stress is a battle for me as I deal with it poorly. I give up easily and avoid whatever is causing me stress. When I get stressed, I get frustrated or upset, start having negative thoughts about myself like self-harm. I like my daily routine to be similar without much change.

My night vision is poor so I’m only comfortable driving during daylight hours. With my anxiety issues and fears, my comfort zone of driving is where the traffic is light or areas that I know that has traffic signals at intersections. My fear of driving at night comes from not being able to see well at night. I spend a lot of time daydreaming that distracts me from doing things like focusing on what people are talking about. Living in a dream-like world helps me deal with reality.

Currently, my daily routine consists of eating 3 meals a day with snacks in between, taking care of my personal hygiene, watching tv and web surfing, letting the dogs out for potty breaks and exercise, feeding the dogs and cat, changing the litter box and then light cleaning and laundry around the house. I don’t do any outdoor chores.

ImNotMyIllness

Just be honest and tell the truth. You have more than a full load and deserve it. SSDI was designed to help people like you-who need it!