WHY WE HAVE DREAMS (Really Interesting)

stardog

Wow..Just found this. Apparently unfulfilled emotions (emotions that are not followed through by actions) are like uncompleted loops, your brain has to complete the loops somehow and THATS WHY WE HAVE DREAMS, it's a way for your brain to 'resolve' all these unresolved thoughts and emotions. (With SA you are going to have a lot of these)

As the site explains, if you are going around tired all the time, this is probably why! You're not getting the right kind of sleep. Put simply you are having way too many dreams and not enough deep sleep.

http://www.clinical-depression.co.uk/Understanding_Depression/understanding.htm

redlady

I have had very vivid anxiety ridden dreams in the past and they felt real to me - i experienced the same sensations in those dreams that i do when i am in a highly anxious state in waking life. I knew that dreams were the product of unresolved emotions but i did not know that your mind actually thought of them as REAL - that was an interesting revelation.
No wonder i am tired all the time - too many unresloved emotions man.
Thanks for the site - interesting reading.

triceratops

That would explain why since starting uni and worrying all the time I always wake up having had vivid dreams. Interesting it also mentions how it affects your concentration and I seem to have poor concentration any else have concentration problems?

redlady

Yes i have concentration problems - i find it hard to sit still on one thought at a time - i am easily distracted.

SPECTACULAR

Is it right that what we see in dreams can't be created by our minds. i.e., all dream's contents are from reality and you can't see something you haven't seen in your life. i.e., your brain is allowed to use what you have seen in your life when you're awake and nothing else?

you got the question? because i didn't!

renegade

Evrika !!!!! Thx stardog for the link :wink:

Now I know why I sometimes sleep like 14 hours and still feel tired. Although I can't remember a single dream that I had.

And that explaines why this dream keeps following me. There are this demons chasing me and I run in slow motion and I try to run faster but can't, it is like running in water, thats how it feels. And after this chase they eventually get me and I wake up all sweaty and can't go to sleep again cause I'm afraid that i'll dream again the same thing, cause it's just keeps repeating itself.

I know now it's a simbol, in real life I feel like running away from social situations but I can't, I don't complete the cycle, that's why my brain completes it during sleep.

On the other hand, I'm having erotic dreams too, I dream of a girl or more of them that are approching me and start doing all kind of stuff like ... and I do this stuff to them like this ......and it feels so fuc*ing great... I love my brain when it does this .. :oops: wonder what unfinished cycle that is :D

Thx again, it's all clear to me now :)

Lost_Nomad

I dont dream much. some people dream because they are under stress, some because of just a interesting experience, others from the way thy go to sleep(what they did before sleeping). the trueth is the brain is still a mystery, they dont know how it works.

stardog

glad it helped ya renegade :wink:

Nomad - I don't know, I think a lot of people just don't remember their dreams? On the site it does say that people who are depressed generally have 3x more dreams every night, so I would think there is definitely a link between your cycle of thoughts and dreams. I know since my sa has gotten bad I've had more memorable, weirder dreams (actually pretty much every night and I can usually remember them), and I am tired a lot more, despite getting 8+ hours sleep. But I suppose the explanation on the site is just one, Im not sure about the research behind it.

Scyth - Yeah I also have really bad concentration problems, although I havent been diagnosed with ADD I think I probably have it. Eating breakfast/getting more sleep and getting lots of omega 3 are all supposed to help apparently

pitkreet

scyth said:
Interesting it also mentions how it affects your concentration and I seem to have poor concentration any else have concentration problems?

Yes, in fact it was when I was hunting around the internet looking for info on my poor concentration that I stumbled across an article on SA, and realised that is what I have.

chav

sumhow i kinda agree with evry1 here, bcoz the first post realy does make sense to me yet what evry1 else says makes sense to. im always tired during the day, bcoz i get 3 hours sleep minimum. so a lil confused ere :? :wink:

carebear

i have had the wierdest dreams..i cannot even tell you guys how wierd some of my dreams are..the other night, i was dreaming of a large piece of flesh that was transforming into different shapes! One minute it was a cross between a butterfly and a tree, and it was hovering in the air trying to make me notice it..i think i need help...now!!!

does anyone her talk/yell in their sleep? :roll:

Nytro

Oh man its been like a year since ive had any dreams. I cant remember a damn thing, maybe too much TV and Videogames, lol. And no matter how much sleep I get I still feel exhausted...Temperpedic bed here I come :twisted:

Angie_05

redlady said:
I have had very vivid anxiety ridden dreams in the past and they felt real to me - i experienced the same sensations in those dreams that i do when i am in a highly anxious state in waking life.

Same here. It's amazing how anxiety feels sooo real in dreams. Takes me a few minutes after I wake up to settle down.

Angie_05

taws said:
actually, no offense here guys, but nobody can say for sure why we dream. your link deals with the psychological theory of why we dream, which is unproven. we know dreams only occur in REM (rapid eye movement) sleep which is surprisingly simlimiar in terms of brain wave activity to the hours during the day when we are awake, thus presenting the physiological theory of why we dream, which says basically that the mind has to exercise the synapses between brain cells, and that dreaming takes over where the active and awake brain leaves off and that dreams have no real meaning whatsoever. personally, i think the more scientific of the two is the latter, though much less fun for the layperson.

You are right there too. I also wonder, though, why dreams are filled with strong emotions. I don't know about others, but for me personally it's always a strong aggressive, anxious, sexual, or sad emotion that is elicited in my dreams. Perhaps dreams are a combination of cortical neurons firing, which have to do with memories, and neurons firing in the emotion centers of our brain. These may happen simultaneously and give us a combination of memories which seem to be scrambled into one dream, and strange emotions along with that.

Nytro

sexual healing dreams...works for me :wink:

Any ideas on how to get a better nights sleep? Ex. Drink warm milk, do handstands, etc.

sickofbeinglonely

I have this recurring dream where I'm back at school. Supposedly in my last year about to take my exams. I've only had it for about five years... :roll:

online1010

Another reason why you guys may feel extra tired in the morning even when you get like 12 hours of sleep is becuase you are breaking your sleep patterns. Say for two weeks you go to bed at 11:00 and wake up at 7:00, getting 8 hours of sleep. Your body is then accustomed to sleeping during this time period, so when you go to bed at 9:00 pm and wake up at 10:00 am, you have broken your sleep pattern which results in you being drousy or tired.

Nytro

ONLINE1010 what else can you tell me about this sleep pattern, Ive havent had a "sleep pattern" since I was 17. And more with my wacky college schedule.

like tuesdays and thursdays are from 8:00am-10:20 then 11:00-12:20 and then 6:00-9:00pm and I wake up about 7:00am.

Every other day is around 11:00am so I wake up later those days, then I stay up till 3:00am on friday and sat nights until I have to try to get to sleep on Sunday night to wake up at 11 again.

How will this effect my life if I keep it constant? Oh and should I replace my 8 year old mattress for a rip-off Temperpedic mattress for like $350?
Ill pop the link if anyone wants to check it out.